Need fishy friends for keyhole cichlids and angelfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 2 keyhole cichlids and a small angelfish in a 29 gallon tank.

I'm looking for some peaceful cichlid friends for them. I'd like fish that are in the 3" to 5" range if I can find some suitable tank mates.

The water here has a high ph (~7.6) and is fairly hard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Angels can do fine in a tank that size. I had a breeding pair in one with about 60 fry and the water remained fine.

You could try it I guess, but I personally don't think you have enough room for more cichlids. There won't be enough places for them to claim territories. I would just go with a school of tetras if you want more activity in the tank. :D

severum mama said:
You could try it I guess, but I personally don't think you have enough room for more cichlids.

I agree, if you put in more cichlids your keyholes will likely be in hiding most of the time.

Maybe go for a school of cories, tetras or rasboras. They're all fun to watch and pretty active. 8)

severum mama said:
You could try it I guess, but I personally don't think you have enough room for more cichlids. There won't be enough places for them to claim territories. I would just go with a school of tetras if you want more activity in the tank. :D

I don't think territory would be a problem with the current group of fish he has. Keyholes are pretty timid and aren't very territorial.

Bolivian rams might be a good choice. They're peaceful fish. Many fish in the geophagus genus are peaceful, too. However, they will eventually get quite large (~8" or more).

You might want to check http://www.cichlid-forum.com. They've got a big profile list of fish and lots of cichlid lovers over there.

My Bolivian rams can actually be quite territorial. I keep 2 of them in my 29 gallon and they have each claimed half the tank as their territory. I really don't think they would be happy claiming any less space than what they have. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that based on my personal experience with dwarf cichlids I don't think that they would be comfortable with smaller territories, and a 29 gallon does not afford much room for 4 cichlids that all occupy the bottom levels of the tank.

On the other hand, the addition of dithers may make your existing fish more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom