Need Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_Love_For_Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have tried to research what is going on with my mpangas, but can't seem to find any information. It started with my smallest of 6, with it's mouth and upper back fin turning white and looking mangled. I ended up having to remove him from the tank because his condition was worse (yesterday morning). Throughout the day I monitored my other fish and noticed that 3 others of my mpanga are starting with the same problem. Unsure of what this is, I don't know what steps I need to take in order to ensure that my other fish don't get sick as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All other fish seem well, only my mpanga are effected?

It sounds like it may be columnaris (bacterial infection). Google some pics & see if this matches what you are dealing with or post some pics of the sick fish to help everyone figure out what you are dealing with. Your tank size, stocking, & water parameters will also help as well.

This is the best pic I was able to get, they seem to be camera shy today

Attachments

• image-2932868200.jpg
    image-2932868200.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 86
Ok- I cant see the pic clearly from where I am but based on your description, it sounds like it may be columnaris. I do not have personal experience with cichlids (just fish in general) and I am hoping some other members will share their input here (esp those who can see the pic).

I personally would act quickly as columnaris infection can be devastating. The best treatment would be to gradually reduce the temp down to 72-75 range (bacteia multiplies faster at 80 & above), slowly add aq salt at 1tablespoon per 5gals (premixed in tank water & added slowly over 2days), and treat with a gram-negative antibiotic. Kanamycin would be my first choice but this is not readily available in most lfs. Minocycline would be my second choice (sold commonly under the maracyn 2 label). I hope others can advise here as well! Good luck!

Thank you for the advice :). While I waited for a response I treated the water with an aloe Vera stress coat, African cichlid conditioner, 1 tbsp of aq salt and changed the filter. However, after I did this 2 of my male mpanga (assuming both were male) started getting aggressive and the others hid. They are both showing symptoms of what could be the columnaris, but I don't know if it was out of dominance (the fight) or because they are both infected?

i cant answer questions in respect to aggression or dominance behavior issues because I have no personal experience with these fish but im sure others will help out! If your filter has carbon in it, you will need to remove the carbon before dosing any meds. Also, can you post your water parameters when you have a chance? It helps to rule out any possible water quality issues affecting your fish. :)

Yes I know. I was told by my lfs (deals with strictly cichlids) that 14 was the max for my 10g. When I went to another pet/fish store they told me I was over stocked. The next day I went and got a 29g (which is now in the process of cycling) and I'm anxiously/impatiently waiting for it to be ready so I can transfer as soon as possible. However, I'm not sure the majority of my fish will last that long. My tank was going great until I added the last 3 mpanga :(

Top pic is of my 10g, bottom is of 29g not quite decorated yet (6 neon tetra are helping to cycle, hopefully it's speedy)

Attachments

• image-656219651.jpg
    image-656219651.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2768230616.jpg
    image-2768230616.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 74
New_Love_For_Cichlids said:
Top pic is of my 10g, bottom is of 29g not quite decorated yet (6 neon tetra are helping to cycle, hopefully it's speedy)

29 g is still too small for these cichlids.You really want a 4 foot tank as they are very active fish and need the swim space.

Ya I agree, but 29 is all I could afford at the time when I knew I needed a bigger tank asap. But I don't think they're gonna survive a few more days of that tank. When I had only 12 my tank was thriving, no aggression.

if you change the rock and planting scape every few days that should keep them in search for a new "home" rather than picking on each other.

The mpanga seem content with staying on side of the tank and hiding in the pink planting. Also the other mix are doing great with staying together, but I will definitely try that out. Once I get out, I will be adding more hiding spots to the larger tank :)

The thing with mbuna is that they become more aggressive as they mature and start to breed.In a tank the size of yours there is nowhere to hide should a fish get bullied.I hope not but I envisage a blood bath at some stage.

I hope not :( I really enjoy these fish. Thanks for all the advice, I'll be rearranging my tank now, and hope things will get better.

The thing with mbuna is that they become more aggressive as they mature and start to breed.In a tank the size of yours there is nowhere to hide should a fish get bullied.I hope not but I envisage a blood bath at some stage.
i agree

I thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if it would contaminate the other tank as well. Then I thought of putting the ones that don't appear to be affected at all in the bigger tank and leave the sick ones in the 10g. But I only just got the 29 on Thursday so I know it's not ready yet and I don't want to risk losing them

Back
Top Bottom