Need Help! American Cichlid Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugget6476

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am Cycling my tank at the moment, its 150cm x 52cm x 60cm, with 2 aqua one nautilus 800's, Im fairly certain I want bigger American cichlids in there, but I keep changng my mind and its really frustating, I can see why people end up with so many aquariums.

I will list all the ones im interested in order, but im open to all ideas or any other fish that could work, I dont want to overstock the tank, and I dont want any really small fish as I can do those kind in another tank at a later date.

Uaru Cichlids
Oscars
Firemouths
Severums
Convicts
Jaguar Cichlid
Geophagus (but I have a small gravel bottom not sand)
Silver Dollars or some other dither

What combinations would work best in my aquarium?

At the moment im thinking of 2 Uaru, some Silver Dollars, a Firemouth and either an Oscar or a Jaguar, but yea Im not sure:facepalm:

I am Cycling my tank at the moment, its 150cm x 52cm x 60cm, with 2 aqua one nautilus 800's, Im fairly certain I want bigger American cichlids in there, but I keep changng my mind and its really frustating, I can see why people end up with so many aquariums.

I will list all the ones im interested in order, but im open to all ideas or any other fish that could work, I dont want to overstock the tank, and I dont want any really small fish as I can do those kind in another tank at a later date.

Uaru Cichlids
Oscars
Firemouths
Severums
Convicts
Jaguar Cichlid
Geophagus (but I have a small gravel bottom not sand)
Silver Dollars or some other dither

What combinations would work best in my aquarium?

At the moment im thinking of 2 Uaru, some Silver Dollars, a Firemouth and either an Oscar or a Jaguar, but yea Im not sure:facepalm:

I wouldn't do the jag. Too aggressive do a community tank.

Ok so that makes me lean towards an Oscar then, what would you suggest putting with it?

Its 125 US Gallons, its not a skinny 5 foot Aqaurium, I have put a picture of it on my profile if you would like to see it.

If I could have 2 oscars in there together that would be pretty nice, a Tiger and an Albino or Red Oscar, would I be able to fit any dithers in with 2 Oscars? Would 2 Oscars get along or would they fight to much?

That sounds great:) , maybe up the silver dollars to 5 or 6, and yea either a convict or firemouth, my main oncernt was would it eventually bcome overstocked in a year or 2's time with that many fish.....if not, then that might be the answer:)

No not overstocked that's about right in my opinion. You could possibly do 5 or 6 sd's if you want. They need to be in groups of 4 or more so up to you really, they have a small bio-load so wouldn't cause a problem by adding 1 or 2 more.

Honestly a pair of oscars with a couple SDs will max the tank out. I would do something along the lines of

1- Oscar
1- Featherfin catfish
5- Silver Dollars
1- Salvini or chocolate cichlid or Firemouth

Or you could do just a pair of oscars and attempt to have a mating pair.

Any would be fine in that size tank other then the jag they just get too big and will tear the hell outta everything else severumd are pretty also and with a convict and fire mouth you may end up with a highbrid babies lol

Yea im thinking to do:

1 or 2 Oscars
1 Gold Severum
2 Firemouths or 1 Firemouth and 1 Convict
6 Silver Dollars

Not really into the catfish, I would do 1 Oscar and 1 other large fish instead of the 2 Oscars, but most seem to be too agressive. I really like Jack Dempseys, would there be any chance of that working if they grow up together? or another fish like that.

I have a jack myself its pretty timid but that's just mine I have seen and heard of lots of set ups with a jack and a Oscar in the same tank Oscars get pretty laid back when they get older and with a 6 foot tank I Dont for see that as an issue you may also like a jack and a green terror they are very beautiful as well

Back
Top Bottom