Need help deciding on new fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Currently, I have 5 3.5" long Cichlids in my 29 gallon Eclipse tank (I thought it was 40 all these years, see what you learn on these boards?). I know I want to add a pleco, thinking either the royal of snowball variety. Should that be it? Or can I add one more bottom of the tank type fish? I had a birchir that died of ich, but I'm worried he would have gotten too big anyway. What do you suggest? Thanks to everyone!!!

What kind of cichlids do u have in the 29, and what are your water parameters? Reply back and we will go from there.

HTH

Best bet on the Cichlids are 3 (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos "New Maingano 2-Stripe") from Lake Malawi and the other 2 I could not identify, but they have the same body shape, no stripes, blue bodies with yellow fins. I have the 5-in-one test strips and all levels are in safe range.

I took a little movie of them, is there an easy way to post it? Maybe some experts can finally ID my fish!!!

OK, I got the movie posted on a site, but unfortunatly the site has nothing to do with tropical fish. Just click on the link in the bottom right that says something about my 29 gallon tank and help me ID! It will only be up this weekend, so hurry! Thanks!

www.mrhart.iwarp.com

Could they be Acei's? (the unidentified ones) Regarding your testing supplies- Invest in a master test kit. They are MUCH more accurate and a LOT cheaper than those strips.

Fishyfanatic said:
Could they be Acei's? (the unidentified ones) Regarding your testing supplies- Invest in a master test kit. They are MUCH more accurate and a LOT cheaper than those strips.

In the store the were labeled only as yellow fin cichlids. Do you have a master kit you reccommend? Also, what about adding fish, what are your suggestions? Thanks again.

I've never heard of Yellow Fin Cichlids. The only Cichlid that I know of that has a blue body and yellow fins is an Acei. Then again, there are many fish that I don't know of, but they seem to be the more popular.

A good master test kit is Aquarium Pharmacuticals. If you purchase them from the lfs, you are looking at at least $30. Big Al sells them for $20 and that's after shipping and tax. Just make sure that it tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH. Depending on if you are going to be keeping plants, you probably won't need one of those massive test kits that has like 30 bottles of solution.

Since I don't know what type of fish you currently have in the tank, I can't really comment on what you should add. But in regards to plecos, A rubbermouth is a great option. They are SOOOO cute and stay small. I have one in my 29 gal right now and everytime I see him I just smile cause he's so adorable. He's so tiny yet he stands his ground against all the other fish. In regards to the snowball, I think they are also VERY cute. In fact, I've wanted to get one for so long but never bought one. They are about $60 around here. It would also be a pretty good option for you. Until you can ID your current cichlids, I wouldn't add anything else other than the pleco. Most cichlids get pretty big. Unless you are going to upgrade to a larger tank, I'd stay with your current stock plus a pleco.

Fishyfanatic said:
I've never heard of Yellow Fin Cichlids. The only Cichlid that I know of that has a blue body and yellow fins is an Acei. Then again, there are many fish that I don't know of, but they seem to be the more popular.

A good master test kit is Aquarium Pharmacuticals. If you purchase them from the lfs, you are looking at at least $30. Big Al sells them for $20 and that's after shipping and tax. Just make sure that it tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH. Depending on if you are going to be keeping plants, you probably won't need one of those massive test kits that has like 30 bottles of solution.

Since I don't know what type of fish you currently have in the tank, I can't really comment on what you should add. But in regards to plecos, A rubbermouth is a great option. They are SOOOO cute and stay small. I have one in my 29 gal right now and everytime I see him I just smile cause he's so adorable. He's so tiny yet he stands his ground against all the other fish. In regards to the snowball, I think they are also VERY cute. In fact, I've wanted to get one for so long but never bought one. They are about $60 around here. It would also be a pretty good option for you. Until you can ID your current cichlids, I wouldn't add anything else other than the pleco. Most cichlids get pretty big. Unless you are going to upgrade to a larger tank, I'd stay with your current stock plus a pleco.

I looked at the pictures and I am 99% it is an Acei, good eye! So, knowing the five cichlids, how big should I expect them to get? Are they compaptable?

My LFS has a snowball pleco for 14.99, so I am going to get it tomorrow morning unless I heard some objections. Thanks guys!!!

No problem Tony. I just got 4 of those guys a couple weeks ago. That's why I assumed that was what you have. We actually have 2 that are the Tanzanian Black's and 2 regular ones. Gorgeous fish. The snowball pleco, yuo won't have problems with. They are gorgeous fish, just wish I could get one for that price.

The nickname for the Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos is an Electric Blue Johanni. I actually have 1 in my tank right now (used to have two others until the Hexamitosis Outbreak). They will grow to about 5 inches. Mine is actually 5 1/2 right now. The Acei's will get to be about the same size. The Acei's and Johanni will live in the tank that you have now, but you should definately upgrade the size. They like lots of swimming space, at least a 50 gal. There are many different variations of the Johanni, so if you search for Johanni you will come across many different pictures. You shouldn't have a problem with these fish except for the Johanni's will become aggressive when they get older, more aggressive than the Acei's. That's why I suggest a larger tank, plus the swimming room. I am attaching a pic of my Johanni, just to give you a visual of the different "looks" of them and how large they will get.

I just bought a 55 gallon tank today based on your advice. Thanks fishy!

Congrats on the new tank arrival! Your fish will really love it. Sorry for the pic being so bright. I used the flash and I didn't mean to. He looks alot duller than his actually coloration. He's more of a blackish with bright blue spots. The fish in the lower part of the pic, in the center, that's one of my Acei's. You can't really see him because of the flash. It made him look white. I have found it VERY hard to take pics of those fish in the new tank. The lighting sucks. We definately have to upgrade to something better.

Anyways. Congrats on the new tank. You will have that thing filled to capacity in no time. Just remember, the most research you do, the more fish you will want to buy, the sooner you come across that 250 gal tank. :D

Back
Top Bottom