Need help identifying 3 fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this is a little off but what would be an acceptable tank size for a green terror? It has been one of a my favorite fish for a long time and was wondering how much tank space/ ideal "floor" space would be necessary? With probably just the one fish in it. Either of the genus of "green terror" would suffice however, the real deal would be better imo. Thanks and sorry for the off shoot question.

75 gallon minimum. Stalsbergii will cost you a pretty penny usually, are a bit more sensitive, and not that easy to find generally

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe nandopsis octofasciatus is a blue color variant of rocio octofasciatus

And this shows how much mis information there is on the internet. I read this on 2 different sites a while ago. Don't remember where tho. Thanks freakgeco for clearing this up for me.

There is no difference. The same fish. Jacks used to be in the genus nandopsis, before being reclassified. They've been in several different genera, ever heros and cichlasoma, before being settled in roccio. Nandopsis are generally the big bruisers like haitiensis, beanii, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What if I was able to get a wild caught? That would be something! Just dreaming more or less!

There is no difference. The same fish. Jacks used to be in the genus nandopsis, before being reclassified. They've been in several different genera, ever heros and cichlasoma, before being settled in roccio. Nandopsis are generally the big bruisers like haitiensis, beanii, etc.

I thought this was the case. My books are out of date. Thanks

I thought this was the case. My books are out of date. Thanks

No problem, cichlids are being reclassified a lot, and species that were discovered early on tend to have gone through many changes as we learn more about these species. Jacks have been in the hobby for a long time, and are no where near new to science, so they've gone through several changes. Convicts are another that have, as well as many of the convict-like species now settled into cryptoheros. The most recent species I can think of that has been moved is archocentrus multipsinosa, the rainbow cichlid, that was formerly known as heterotilapia multipsinosa, which never made sense as all the tilapine species live in africa.

No problem, cichlids are being reclassified a lot, and species that were discovered early on tend to have gone through many changes as we learn more about these species. Jacks have been in the hobby for a long time, and are no where near new to science, so they've gone through several changes. Convicts are another that have, as well as many of the convict-like species now settled into cryptoheros. The most recent species I can think of that has been moved is archocentrus multipsinosa, the rainbow cichlid, that was formerly known as heterotilapia multipsinosa, which never made sense as all the tilapine species live in africa.

Ok cheers. How do I keep on top of these reclassifications? Ive looked for several species in my aqualog books but ive been unable to find them. I bet half of them have been reclassified since 1996 when the books were published.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most of the time i hear it from other friends in the hobby, or rarely, i see it in articles online. I don't use books for that reason, as many of the species change from year to year, especially genera like apistogramma where new species are constantly being given species names, or species are being separated into two species

Most of the time i hear it from other friends in the hobby, or rarely, i see it in articles online. I don't use books for that reason, as many of the species change from year to year, especially genera like apistogramma where new species are constantly being given species names, or species are being separated into two species

Ok but I needed a reference tool to help me identify a fish. Aqualog have been providing supplement stickers in newsletters whenever a species is discovered and probably mentions when I species has been moved. I need to get all the supplements to make the book worth having but a) this will be costly and b) im not sure if they even print them anymore. Sucks as the books a quite expensive. They do them for most types of freshwater fish from asian arowana to all the corys and plecs.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I'm not THAT good, I am basically useless around some people I know when it comes to fish knowledge! One in particular In know that comes to mind

Back
Top Bottom