need help with new tank. oops i got an Auratus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisalugh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new tank, 36g bowfront. Very new to fish life.. :) bought three cichlids after carefully setting up my tank. Bought them for looks. I ended up with a demasoni, an albino ptyochromis (I think), & an m. aurateus. The aurateus is chasing the albino guy, is extremely active, the demasoni is hiding and not eating. The aurateus actually chased the albino into a cave and she turned yellow!?!

Should I return the aurateus due to the size of my tank ? Hasn't even been a week.. They are all babies. One inch for aurateus,albino, and 1/2" for the demasoni. I am tempted toremove the demasoni into a bowl for am hour do he can be fed separately..

Any suggestions please help!!!

Lisa

I really like the aurateus but I don't want the others to suffer, I all considering returning the aurateus, or returning the other two and getting all aurateus? Or just getting two other aurateus to play with. I realize I need to overstock my tank but I'm adding these fish at a time in order to cycle without too many nitrates.

Return the Auratus. They get too large and are far too aggressive for that size tank.

Thanks for the advice. I did return the aurateus and have added five new fish together who seem to be getting along much better. Unfortunately the return didn't occur in time enough to save the small demasoni who died this morning.

If your doing a in fish cycle, be sure to change water often, probably daily. Test the water daily, if you see your ammonia creeping up, do a pwc. You have to be very diligent when doing a fish in cycle, or you will lose your new pets

Water is testing perfect.. should I change water daily? I thought vacuum and change water every three days..

Only if your doing a fish in cycle. Also if you're still cycling your tank I would vacuum only if it needs it, your trying to grow beneficial bacteria everywhere you can, and substrate is a great place for it to grow. I guess I should ask, was your tank fully cycled before adding your fish?

You should consider getting a larger tank. African cichilds need at least a 55g and are very aggressive, I made this mistake when I started out too. What fish did you replace the auratus with?

I may get a bigger tank eventually.. While they are babes I think this is okay.. I have six now.. Added another three, on week two, water still testing good aside from nitrates are rising a bit but still in safe zone. Any advice on dealing with the slight rise?

Only if your doing a fish in cycle. Also if you're still cycling your tank I would vacuum only if it needs it, your trying to grow beneficial bacteria everywhere you can, and substrate is a great place for it to grow. I guess I should ask, was your tank fully cycled before adding your fish?

It was running for a week or so, but not totally cycled. I used a number of products to get the water right.

You should consider getting a larger tank. African cichilds need at least a 55g and are very aggressive, I made this mistake when I started out too. What fish did you replace the auratus with?

I replaced the aurateus withseveral that are getting along great. They are nothing at all like the aurateus. He was nuts. Not sure what they are yet. Two pink guys, a larger grey guy, a green spotty one, and a small one.

I think I'll get a larger tank and have only aurateus in the next few months. I loved him but just not with these other calm guys.

I replaced the aurateus withseveral that are getting along great. They are nothing at all like the aurateus. He was nuts. Not sure what they are yet. Two pink guys, a larger grey guy, a green spotty one, and a small one.

I think I'll get a larger tank and have only aurateus in the next few months. I loved him but just not with these other calm guys.

Ahh I have two ruby peacocks I think..that's the pink.

Back
Top Bottom