Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need help with setup for cichlid tank

Okay everyone I need to know all the stuff I need for my cichlids to be happy. The best food for them? The type of gravel/ substrate? I am getting them some small clay pots. Are the filters with carbon bad? How to set the tank up? Should one side have the clay pots and hiding spots and other side be open for swimming? How could I still give my Hap bloodworms without lab getting any of them? Anything would help tomorrow is payday and I want to hook them up with all the good stuff. I have read that I can use pool filter sand so it don't raise ph to high, can anyone give advice on the sand?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm where to start.... The clay pots work good, I use limestone holey rock and they love it plus it buffers the ph UP. I noticed you said you didn't want anything to raise the ph, so maybe your oh is already really high? Cichlids like a high ph around 8 is where I keep mine. I feed strictly OmegaOne super color pellets but any high quality Pellet it good like NLS or something like that. I doubt you can keep your lab from eating some of those bloodworms, I just use brine shrimp as an occasional treat. As far as sand goes with cichlids it seems that a darker substrate makes their colors pop more, so I used Black Diamond blasting sand from Tractor Supply. It's like $7 for 50lbs and looks great just rinse very very well.

I attached a couple pictures of my 150 gallon to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

What exactly is your stock list?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1200622946.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	57177   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1910018874.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	57178  

Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is a really pretty tank! My big one that I am planning on getting I want it to look similar to that. Beautiful! Right now I have a male blue Hap and female yellow lab. I have pics of them on my profile. They are beautiful fish. I am going to get them a 125+ gallon as soon as I can. I know I should not have mixed them but when I got them from petsmart they told me any cichlid could go together I had to get rid of my jewel I bought. Now I have my two babies and my male has been showing signs of being interested in her, so I may have some hybrids. Oops I didn't know! They might turn out pretty. That something else do I need to split up male and female if they do so he don't eat babies?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I doubt the lab and peacock will breed.. And Its okay to mix haps and mbuna, as long as you give them what they need, i don't think it's okay to mix lakes though. I have peacocks, labs, rustys, acei, afra, demasoni and other assorted ones. As far as the fry go the parents usually won't eat them but which fish were you talking about.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was asking if my Hap would eat the babies? So how would I need to setup the tank for both species to co exist? And as long as all the cichlids I get are from lake Malawi I should be alright? Would it matter about the male female ratio if they are different species from same lake?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Male to female ratio is important within a certain species. 3:1 is supposedly best more females if you can. With your peacocks you can have all males(very pretty) females are kinda ugly anyways. Or have many more females than males. But some species are better about it than others. Is it just the lab and peacock in the same tank? If so what size?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes 20 gallon right now fixing to go bigger.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's defiantly a good idea to upgrade for him.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know he is active he needs play room!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine lost an eye in a fight with my fuelleborni and ever since then he kinda just hangout out in one corner of the tank.

Tags
cichlid, ich, setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com