Need ideas for 76!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for ideas for my 76 gallon half round. I have an unusual mix that I don't want to change but want to add too. Here's what I got in there:

- 10" Jack Dempsey
- 8" Nimbochromis Livingstonii
- 13" Pleco

All are males. I know some will have some reservation adding to this because of the mix and the fact that Livingstonii can get quite large. I will when necessary go to a larger tank. These fish have been together since they were all about 3-4" and are very unaggressive with each other yet are very active and healthy. The current tank they are in has been established for about 6-7 months. Prior to that they were in a 55gallon Mbunu tank. I would really like to add to this tank and would love to hear any suggestions.

I have a 75 with a jack a blood parrot and four cons you could go with severums a pair of fire mouths or even a salvinni. Also red devil would do ok but if stay away from another big fish in a 75

I've got a blood parrot in another tank I'd considered introducing but wasn't sure how that would go. I'd love to do some angel cichlids but am afraid they're fins would quickly be destroyed.

The problem is the jack is full grown if they were both juvis it may work but blood parrot can't really bite because of there deformed mouths being open. The jack would prolly go for the parrot since they weren't raised together you could always try and pull him out if the jack bullies to much. If you haven't given the jack feeder fish and only pellets he may be docile enough. As far as angels go though they are cichlids they are only considered semi aggressive and prolly couldn't hang with the more aggressive guys. I work at petsmart and am pretty knowledgeable there may be ppl on here who would disagree with me but I try to play things safe.

Went to a shop today and I saw a couple that I thought might work. Found an 8-9" Golden Severum and an Oscar.....watcha think about either or both of these being introduced?

Wouldn't put an Oscar in there as they get too big. Severum is a better option. Definetely wouldn't go with a blood parrot. He would be quite sressed in there I would imagine. Other options that you could look at are Salvini, Texas, Green Terror, Red Devil to name a few.

- 8" Nimbochromis Livingstonii this fish should not be with south american cichlids it is from africa. i would pick one or the other african cichlids or south america just speeking from experiance.

Yes I am VERY aware of the fact that really the Livingstonii should not be in there since he is an African. I actually get this told all of time. These fish have been together for years and are very very healthy fish. I am curious why it is that everyone thinks this is sooooo wrong, other than the fact that we have an African and South American in the same tank. After doing considerable research about Jack Demspeys and Livingstonii, I can not really find much differencce if any in water quality, water temperature, or even food really. They are actually very similar. Id be curious if others have come accross something that I haven't. Actually it seems that Livingstonii and Jacks may be more similar in their needs than what the Jackc and a Severum are. Thoughts?

If you wish to keep these fish together with other fish I would upgrade to at minimum a 6' 125 gallon tank. If you cannot upgrade at this time do not add any more fish to the tank, even with large weekly PWC the water quality will degrade quickly.

Thanks for the input Mog. I always appreciate your posts. What about smaller fish options?

Well I broke down last night and went with the Gold Severum. Just too good lookin of a fish to pass up. So far other than a couple of stare downs, Jack is handling the addition fine. Ill keep close tabs on water quality. So far I'm encouraged by how well they are all doing.

Attachments

• image-3886695836.jpg
    image-3886695836.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-690883955.jpg
    image-690883955.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3430067686.jpg
    image-3430067686.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1279356723.jpg
    image-1279356723.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2159108205.jpg
    image-2159108205.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 101
I'm looking for ideas for my 76 gallon half round. I have an unusual mix that I don't want to change but want to add too. Here's what I got in there:

- 10" Jack Dempsey
- 8" Nimbochromis Livingstonii
- 13" Pleco

All are males. I know some will have some reservation adding to this because of the mix and the fact that Livingstonii can get quite large. I will when necessary go to a larger tank. These fish have been together since they were all about 3-4" and are very unaggressive with each other yet are very active and healthy. The current tank they are in has been established for about 6-7 months. Prior to that they were in a 55gallon Mbunu tank. I would really like to add to this tank and would love to hear any suggestions.

Is suggest a parachromis friedristhalii cichlid(aka freddy cichlid) these look like jaguar cichlids but they grow to 12in. Max, and are not too agressive, i had mine with an oscar, these are hard to come by, but if you can find oune i HIGHlY recomend tgis awsome fish

I had the EXACT same group but added a 10" Gold Severum to the mix. The Severum and Livingstonii got in a few fights occasionally but overall did well together. Made a great looking 79g with the 4. Unfortunately, I lost the Severum just today and afraid I may lose my Livingstonii as well. Heater went out and I'd left my freshwater valve on yesterday forgetting about it when I went to work and had freezing cold water running into the tank for about 5 hours. Jack and the Pleco are doing OK. Hoping like hell the Livingstonii fights his way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha...I hadn't been on here in awhile and just hopped on...didn't realize I was replying to my own post...LOL!

Two bone head moves one after the other!!!

Back
Top Bottom