need new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
So right now I have a 55G with a really terrible walmart special Aqua-tech filter. It's a pretty bad filter in my experience, there's always stuff floating in the tank, thing's just stick to the intake instead of going in it, things float past and don't get sucked in ect... So I am in need of a new filter.

I don't have a ton to spend right now so I need some suggestions on what to get. I was thinking an Aqua Clear 110 since they have excellent reviews and is affordable. Any other suggestions?

That will be a good choice... AC filters are great. (y)

for a canister Filstar XP's are highly recommended.

or you can do both..

Aquaclear 70, or 110. Aqueons are good. I like fluval canisters, and have heard good things about rena canisters also.

I was also looking at the Fluval 305 but I don't have any experience with canister filters. What would be a better choice the fluval or the AC 110?

I was also looking at the Fluval 305 but I don't have any experience with canister filters. What would be a better choice the fluval or the AC 110?

It depends on your requirements. If you want complete silence, go with fluval. If you want ease of changing media go with AC.

well neither really matters. I don't want a a really loud filter but a little noise wouldn't bother me. As far as changing the material I don't mind as long as it's not rocket science. I guess whichever would do a better job.

In order to keep it simple and cheap,

get the ac 110 hOB and an extra ac110 biomax. You don't need to use the carbon that came with the ac110.

If you wan't a cheaper option, get the Fluval C4 Power Filter. You don't need the carbon and you can replace it with an additional fluval c node for more biofiltration.

Thanks! I have a deal where I can get the Fluval for about the same price as the AC. Even knowing that would you still suggest the AC?

I like how much simpler the AC 110 is. If you can get it for the same price as the C4, I would choose the AC 110.

the C4 sells for ~$44 on amazon whereas the AC 110 sells for ~$74

I meant I can get the 305 for the same price as the AC 110 sorry.

I'd say go for it! I'm a fan of fluval canisters even though I recently switched from an Fluval 404 (died) to an AC-70 on my 75gal (supplemented by a marineland 20gal HOB). The 404 served me well, but the AC-70 was discounted plus I had a coupon petsmart coupon on top.

I'm surprised at the output you get with an AC-70, I used the ceramic rings from my old 404 and a couple of the sponges. As was mentioned, skip the carbon and use the space for Poly-fill. It REALLY does a great job polishing water. So this is a very viable for a 55gal.

Personally i would get the AC110. There's a reason they moved towards the fluval 306 (fixes problems with 305 model).

I have the fluval 306, and love it, it does a great job, and is quiet. I bought it off of amazon for like 118 I think.

So I went to a tropical fish auction on sunday and I scored two AC 110's for $30!!!

They came with biomax, charcoal, and the sponge. Previously in the thread someone said not to use the charcoal? What should I put in there instead?

You really don't need to replace it with anything. I use the sponge, a cut-to-fit blue bonded filter and the media on top. Some people double up on the bio media.

Yea I will probably skip the charcoal and throw in the sponge,two bags of bio max and maybe some filter material or filter floss.

Back
Top Bottom