Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need Some help please

I am pretty new to fish and tanks. Anyways for the last six months I have had my cichlids(tiger oscar and a
jack dempsey) in a tank with gravel. Today I tried to change that and I removed the gravel and put in white substrate. It looks pretty cool but the water is all murky/cloudy with the substrate. I basically cleaned my tank fully and when it was dry I put substrate on the bottom and filled up my tank by pouring a giant bowl of water.Its not a huge tank 20gals and I know I will have to upgrade soon thats pretty much y I used the bowl. Idk if there is a specific way you guys put this in or if I just need to give it time to settle down on the bottom. Whats my problem here?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you rinse the substrate before adding it to your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo one View Post
Did you rinse the substrate before adding it to your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 to this. It can take a day or two for the substrate to settle especially if you didn't wash it.

With a Oscar AND a JD your looking at like 100 gallon tank minimum IMO I'd start looking for one ASAP. Both fish grow big and oscars have huge bioloads. In a tank that small it won't take long for your nitrates to shoot up from all his waste. Frequent water changes will be a must multiple times a week to keep the nitrates low.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com