Need Some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igonza08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am pretty new to fish and tanks. Anyways for the last six months I have had my cichlids(tiger oscar and a
jack dempsey) in a tank with gravel. Today I tried to change that and I removed the gravel and put in white substrate. It looks pretty cool but the water is all murky/cloudy with the substrate. I basically cleaned my tank fully and when it was dry I put substrate on the bottom and filled up my tank by pouring a giant bowl of water.Its not a huge tank 20gals and I know I will have to upgrade soon thats pretty much y I used the bowl. Idk if there is a specific way you guys put this in or if I just need to give it time to settle down on the bottom. Whats my problem here? :confused:

Did you rinse the substrate before adding it to your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you rinse the substrate before adding it to your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 to this. It can take a day or two for the substrate to settle especially if you didn't wash it.

With a Oscar AND a JD your looking at like 100 gallon tank minimum IMO I'd start looking for one ASAP. Both fish grow big and oscars have huge bioloads. In a tank that small it won't take long for your nitrates to shoot up from all his waste. Frequent water changes will be a must multiple times a week to keep the nitrates low.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom