Need some opinions on feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neasesl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, My name is Samantha and I am new to this site. Not even really sure how to use it yet:).

I have a mixed African Cichlid aquarium (mbuna) that is thriving with about 9 fish. The majority of them are fully mature but a few are still juvenile. I also have a fry tank with approx. 7 week old fry. I mostly feed them cichlid flakes and occasionally I feed them the cichlid sticks. I recently purchased Baby Shrimp (sun dried gammarus) with intentions to feed one maybe two times a week, simply as a small treat. :fish2: I was told by a friend that I should not feed my mbuna cichlids the shimp because it's not good for them. I was wondering if this is true or not? Any opinions?

note: attached images are not recent.

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN4693.jpg
    DSCN4693.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN4657.jpg
    DSCN4657.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
Shrimp are not needed in a Mbunas diet because they are quite a herbivouris fish and do not need much protein. But a treat of shrimp once a month or so is fine. Also what size tank is it?

Welcome to AA. Moved to the cichlid forum and changed your title so hopefully you'll get more views and plenty of input.

Too much protein can be bad for mbuna. I feed mine a ghost shrimp or two once every month or two. Just as a treat. I love to watch them hunt for them.
On Sunday, I feed a few deshelled peas.
On Monday, we fast.
Every day after that they get omega one flakes or tetra spiralina crisps. Sometimes I surprise them with the sinking pellets.
They love algae wafers too. I hear It's good to mix it up a little.

Yes too much protein may cause bloat but occasional treats are fine.
I feed mine brine shrimp every 2 weeks or so, Thursday is cucumber day and Sunday is de-shelled pea day.
NLS Thera A every other day.

oh, and jason, I have a 50 gal bowed front tank. (I think... :))

Back
Top Bottom