Need stocking ideas for a 100 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny2007

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after a long break from the hobby I was given a free tank by a friend. When I went to buy a stand from my local LFS, I accidentaly bought a used 100 gal, oops.

I know I would like to go with dwarf cichlids again; the tank is 60" long by 18" wide I believe.

Apistogromma: 2 pairs
Hatchetfish: I'm not sure how many
Sterba's cory: 10 ish

Is there anything wrong with this combination? Any suggestions for additional fish?

Thanks!

I think your fish selections are fine, but your tank will look a little under stocked. I also have a 5 foot tank. I have four different schools of tetras, totalling 35 fish, along with a few medium sized cichlids. I could still squeeze in a few more.
Might consider a couple of Electric Blue Acaras, and some large Tetras (Diamonds, Red Eyes or Buenos Aires).
Get a good filtration system going. I run two A.C. 110's on mine.
Have fun planning. There are so many possibilities.

I think your fish selections are fine, but your tank will look a little under stocked. I also have a 5 foot tank. I have four different schools of tetras, totalling 35 fish, along with a few medium sized cichlids. I could still squeeze in a few more.

Might consider a couple of Electric Blue Acaras, and some large Tetras (Diamonds, Red Eyes or Buenos Aires).

Get a good filtration system going. I run two A.C. 110's on mine.

Have fun planning. There are so many possibilities.

Yeah I’ve got lots of plans lol. I kind of wanted to stay away from larger cichlids, and I’ll definitely be looking for some tetras! Are those HOB filters?

Yes the A.C. 110's are HOB. They seem to be the most popular power filters among members of this forum. You could probably get by with one. I use two because I tend to over stock.

A few additional stocking ideas to what you have...... Bolivian Rams, Keyhole Cichlids, Columbian Tetras, Clown Loaches. I'd run two HOB's as V does. Especially for those Apistos.....I think they need good water quality.

A few additional stocking ideas to what you have...... Bolivian Rams, Keyhole Cichlids, Columbian Tetras, Clown Loaches. I'd run two HOB's as V does. Especially for those Apistos.....I think they need good water quality.

If I get the apsitos to pair up would the Keyholes be a problem?

Keyholes are supposed to be more peaceful than Apistos. I don't think it would be a problem especially in a 100g. Now, temperament of any fish can vary depending on the particular one you get. Definitely doable.

Keyholes are supposed to be more peaceful than Apistos. I don't think it would be a problem especially in a 100g. Now, temperament of any fish can vary depending on the particular one you get. Definitely doable.

Okay, I’ve never read about them before, so I thought I’d ask.

Let us know what you decide on getting

I was planning on doing a build thread over in general, I think that’s where they go. I’m still have some work to do cleaning it up before any scaping starts. Here are a couple pics I got the tank and stand for 300$. IMG_5409.jpgIMG_5403.jpg

Awesome tank!! I personally love green fire tetras and harlequin rasboras, both really energetic and make brilliant schools in large numbers if that’s what you’re into!

Awesome tank!! I personally love green fire tetras and harlequin rasboras, both really energetic and make brilliant schools in large numbers if that’s what you’re into!

I’ll definitely look into those.

Paint that tank trim black!! You sure you want to do dwarf cichlid in that bad boy?? So much room for activities...

Back
Top Bottom