Need to rescue fish!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I respectfully disagree that a 2 hour acclimation would be enough time to change over from a filthy tank to a clean tank. My advice was pretty standard for a situation like this. :)

I agree which is why I'm doing it a bit slower. I realize that when she is acclimated putting her into another tank will be stressful for her again but I have to think of the safety of all my fish. If she has some fungus or parasite I can't have my fish getting that so as she gets use to clean water I will have to keep a close eye on her to watch for signs. Is is flashing a bit but nothing extreme I think it's just the change in water. As the water gets better I'm hoping so does she. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks so much for all the advise!

Weirdly, humans are the same way. People brought out of filthy, horrifying conditions (Abused children, the homeless, etc...) can often come down with major illnesses just by being fed decent food and clean environments, and not even stuff they hadn't been exposed to. It's kind of the same thing for the fish, really.

Ok so update on fish... She ate!!! Very happy! Lol she won't swim to the top for food yet but she does eat what floats into her cave. So I'm going to pick up some sinking pellets. My other fish get some frozen blood worms and shrimp sometimes... What do you guys think about bribing her with some protein lol

i hope this works out. i think a slow drip acclimation would have definitely been better done over a majority of a day. atleast youre better than me before i found out about drip acclimation. i was a total idiot and just floated a bag full of fish in my tank. can you say ph shock.

Wonderful that she ate! Don't worry about bribing her. She's in a state of shock and confusion right now. Some gentle love is all she needs. Give her time to adjust to her new environment on her own terms. Great job! :dance:

Update on rescue ...

She is doing great! Not a big eater but she isn't thin so I guess she is getting what she needs! She has rearranged the whole tank a few times now. She moves the pebbles all over clearing the floor to the glass. And she attacks me when I walk into the room and heaven forbid I come near the tank. Lol but at least she is t hiding as much. she acts like she has fry but she doesn't. Lol

Moving gravel is generally a sign of mating behavior.

So glad to hear that she's doing well. :dance:

But she is alone in the tank. Lol hope she doesn't look to mate with my male convict when I move her

Women have their period whether or not they have a man in their life. That's our bodies preparing us for mating. Same difference. :D

Oh good think I can drop a midol in there for her so she calms down!! Lol jk

Update.. I added her yesterday and she is doing great! The only problem so far is that it took my male convict 30sec to realize there was a female in there. He is in love! Lol he doesn't bother her to much yet! And the other fish don't seem to mind her.

Oh I hope not! Lol I think it will turn my tank into ww3! Please no babies lol my other fish will want to eat them! Lol and my convict already loves to bite me when I clean the tank he will go nuts if there are little guys he has to protect lol

Back
Top Bottom