Need two id'sr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked these babies up from the local LFS in the assorted tank. The orange and black one I really wanted, but the other yellow one was supposed to be a different one that I thought was a Kenya or a bumblee. But when I looked in the bag this is what I got.... Any suggestions? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395199250.438292.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395199270.048300.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395199297.001220.jpg

As a piggyback;
My electric yellow has taken a keen interest in the black and orange one already, he's shaking like CRAZY. Is it too small to breed? Would he even know if she's actually a she? And is it possible for them to even breed?

I was a little nervous introducing such a small fish but he's chasing everyone away from her :)

The spotted one is an OB Zebra. The other one in the bag look orange/red the same as the other.? If so it's a red zebra. Chances are it's to young and the adult lab you have in your tank isn't trying to breed, it's showing it who the boss is. You need to keep an eye on things closely when adding new fish to another fishes territory. They could stress them out to the point of hiding, getting sick or even worse. You can try to rescape the tank but it doesn't always work.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No. It's more of a yellow then an orange, it had some black on it at the pet store, but that has faded, right now it just looks dusty almost...it's a weird looking fish. Will the OB be okay in the tank, I read that there hybrids, but I'm worried that it should be in a peacock tank and not a mbuna tank? I absolutely love him already, and he's already coming out to see me with the rest of them, and I'd hate to get rid of him.

And as for what I was thinking is breeding, when I woke up this morning he was still protecting it. The dominant male is a ice blue, and the yellow one is even chasing him off... I've just never seen this behaviour from my electric yellow when adding new fish hah.

The OB zebra is a Mbuna and should be fine with mbuna. Typically OB anything are usually pretty aggressive.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

OB Zebras are not typically hybrids (OB stands for Orange Blotch), being in the Zebra group they will interbreed with other zebras. Also all mbuna will interbreed in a mixed tank without a suitable ratio of females/male.

Okay thank you.
Does the yellow one look like a krib of some sort? I'm really worried it's one of the dwarf species. It had black on it similar to a krib. But since I didn't want him I didn't look at it at the LFS.

Okay thank you.
Does the yellow one look like a krib of some sort? I'm really worried it's one of the dwarf species. It had black on it similar to a krib. But since I didn't want him I didn't look at it at the LFS.

No, most definitely not a krib of any sort. From your first picture, I also thought it was a Red/Orange Zebra, however in looking at your second picture, it appears more yellow. I would say it is likely another Electric yellow, but it could be a hybrid of some sort. I do think it is a mbuna.

Okay thanks. I was super worried that he was a dwarf and that would not work in my tank at all. I'll wait and see if he colours up the same again and post the pictures, he had black now he's "dusty" looking, and he can go super yellow to an orangey color, kinda neat I guess. . If he is an electric yellow, will he get he black fins later on? Or if he doesn't have them he won't get them? (I'm really hoping he doesn't hah!)

He may or may not - I've had Electric Yellows that were completely yellow and others with lots of black, as well as everything in between.

Back
Top Bottom