needing help with my Chichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkbait8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have aquarium sand as my substrate. I am having a problem with Algae. I just did a major cleaning Friday. Cleaned all the rocks and added live plants. But I cannot seem to get rid of algae. Do I need a bigger syphon? The one I have is small. I have cut back on lighting schedule. I just cannot get all of the algae out of the sand so it keeps coming back. Help me please??

Right now 12 hours for the live plants. Not sure about water parameters. We need testing strips.

Right now 12 hours for the live plants. Not sure about water parameters. We need testing strips.

12 hours is a long time. Don't buy test strips they are very inaccurate, buy a api freshwater master test kit. I would work on doing some water changes I bet your nitrates are high

That is what we are thinking also about the water changes and we will get the master water kit and see how the water quality is and will keep the forum and all our new fish friends up to date on the problem thank you for your help

you dont want your nitrates to ever get above 40ppm and no more then 20 is ideal. anymore then that isnt harmful to fish but it will create algae as nitrate is basically liquid fertalizer and the algae use it to grow.

Back
Top Bottom