Neolamprologus multifasciatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really like this fish but have never kept a cichlid before! So I need help! This will be a 5 gallon, hence why I needed to pick a small cichlid :) I have a sand and sea shell substrate (hand collected shells) with rocks to hide in ( some if not all will be replaced with larger hand collected shells. I have pothos vine roots hanging in the tank as well. So suggestions are welcome and needed! Thanks and God bless!

I would recommend a larger footprint for shellies, I think a 20L works great for a small colony. The most interesting aspect of these fish is their social interaction and structure, with a 5g I'm afraid you'll never experience that. The other issue is the fry would never come close to reaching adults in a smaller space.

Really? Even though they are only an inch long? That stinks..... Does it have to be a 20L? I may be getting a 20 high eventually. Although if I had the money I would get the 60 gallon table sized tank hehe Anywaywould the 20 tall work? and what other tips?

A 20g works fine as well, but since the fish tend to stay near the bottom there seems to be alot of wasted tank space with a higher tank.

The Petco tank sale is coming soon which would be a great oppurtunity to pick up a new tank for a buck a gallon.

A 20g works fine as well, but since the fish tend to stay near the bottom there seems to be alot of wasted tank space with a higher tank.

The Petco tank sale is coming soon which would be a great oppurtunity to pick up a new tank for a buck a gallon.
Oh dont tell me that! Thats too tempting lol I just wish 20L werent so expensive. 32 bucks for the tank at petsmart. I already have a filter though........ Well I will wait on this fish until I have a larger tank. Any other things I should know before I start?

I also recommend a 20L. They'll need a bigger footprint. Also some Tanganyika buffer. And large snail shells work best.

I also recommend a 20L. They'll need a bigger footprint. Also some Tanganyika buffer. And large snail shells work best.
What is Tanganyika buffer? Is it a chemical? So like apple snails right?

GodFan said:
What is Tanganyika buffer? Is it a chemical? So like apple snails right?

Yep. It keeps the ph the same as their natural habitat. There are great empty snail shell selections online for really cheap. I think I got mine from Naples sea shell company.

I kept mine in a 15g, they did pretty well but I would have liked a bigger footprint for the colony. They bred but had very few survivors because they were always in each others space.

You can use crushed coral in a media bag in your filter to maintain the PH. I have never used any kind of cichlid salts or other additives. The other option is a substrate that will buffer the levels.

You can use crushed coral in a media bag in your filter to maintain the PH. I have never used any kind of cichlid salts or other additives. The other option is a substrate that will buffer the levels.
Sweet thats what I was hoping. I have a sand and sea shell substrate but will probably get a bag of crushed coral for the filter (when I get the bigger tank)

Back
Top Bottom