Neon jewel cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoppaRyno

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I recently bought 4 neon blue jewel cichlids, and i can only find conflicting info. My lfs, which is a good one, says they are newer and have no solid info on them other than they only 2-3 inches. If any has kept them or knows about them pls share. Lol

never heard about it. anyway if it's a jewel fish then study the info about jewel fishes for now...i think the diet and care level will be same as the normal jewel fish. and please post some pictures of ur fish...really want to see them.

Ive studied the info. Apparentely they are illegal to sell in a few countries. I.e. Austrailia.

ForumRunner_20120117_102802.jpg

Thanks arup. Know anything about 'em by chance. Ill try to get a better pic too. They have a much bluer body than pic shows, and bright red bellies.

Never seen or heard of them either, but do keep us updated on what you find out. Do you have an actual species name?

Thats exactly what i have found, wor for word, even the question marks and unsubstantiated part. Lol

Must be an unclassified species or a tank-raised hybrid, but Hemichromis are nasty buggers in general. You'll probably only be able to keep one pair (assuming they pair off) in a 3-4' tank. Maybe some fast-moving dithers like danios or rainbows.

They are little poo heads. But theyre in a 25gl with a 1" bushy nose. Not plannin on,adding anything in with them. Im curious abt breeding them, but they're so new i cant find any info. They only get abt 2-3" max is what i hear. Maybe a dwarf\jewel hybrid?

I just found a lil more abt them. They are not found in the wild. And no one seems to have a clue what the other half of them is hybrid with or where they are coming from. Hence the question marks at the end of the scientific name.

Although that article seemed a bit against keeping or breeding
'Neon' .x. Hemichromis. But i think that was aimed more at australian aquarist, due to hemichromines being prohibited there.

PoppaRyno said:
Although that article seemed a bit against keeping or breeding
'Neon' .x. Hemichromis. But i think that was aimed more at australian aquarist, due to hemichromines being prohibited there.

Yes you could be right but it doesn't seem to be considered as a true jewel and I think the worry is for the jewel species itself.
As far as breeding goes it should be as straightforward as any jewel so as long as its just for your pleasure I say go for it :)

I just think they're beautiful and enjoy breeding\ raising for me, friends, and my local aquariast club.

Back
Top Bottom