New 125 gallon set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pros and cons to using egg crate for rock support... Have a 75 set up for 3 years with 75lbs of holey rock and no egg crate and no issues... Should I use in new set up... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pros and cons to using egg crate for rock support... Have a 75 set up for 3 years with 75lbs of holey rock and no egg crate and no issues... Should I use in new set up... Thanks

Pros - Excellent base support, keeps bottom panel safe, cheap, provides possible safe areas for fry to survive (especially for cichlids).

Cons - Allows a lot of area for detritus to get trapped, can look bad if not disguised properly.

I'd've loved to use egg crate in my tanks, I'd absolutely use it in a new setup.

I'm going to be using minimal rocks in my 120 and still put down egg crate, always better to be safe than sorry, it cost me like $12 plus some extra egg crate left over from a previous project. It would be $25ish for the bottom of a 125. I've never had a probably with detritus getting into the egg crate, as I cover mine with sand anyway

Was worried about the detritus... Plan on using plenty of sand so not worried about any of the crate showing... Thanks guys!

Was worried about the detritus... Plan on using plenty of sand so not worried about any of the crate showing... Thanks guys!

Just keep flow high to make sure detritus doesn't have a chance to settle.

Just keep flow high to make sure detritus doesn't have a chance to settle.

Detritus will gather on the sand regardless of eggcrate under it or not....egg crate won't have much effect at all on it, as detritus won't reach down under 2-3" of sand typically

I run 1 hydor wave maker on the 75 and will prob add another for the 125 so there should be good movement.... And was thinking at least 3 inches of sand...

Back
Top Bottom