New 125 gallon setup :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwright

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Check out my new 125 gallon African setup. I love this tank. Let me know what you think. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392084519.338433.jpg

So far I have a venustus, 3 neolamprologus pulcher, a blue lab, 2 yellow labs, a perlmut lab, 1 kenyi, 1 metriaclima esthrae, a m. Aurastus, a peacock, 2 that don't look like Africans, and 6 peppered Cory cats. Oh and a clown pleco. How many more fish would be well stocked? I am running 2 aquatop 500uv's and an eheim classic rated for 185 gallons.

You have an mbuna tank so your going to need more rocks to start.

I am not really good with a stocking list for mbuna so I can't help you with aggression or types i am a peacock tank guy but you are under stocked

You will have to rehome your Cory cats I don't know how they do worn Africans usually Africans can only go with Africans

The Cory cats were in the tank with the Africans when I got it. For some reason they are left alone. I am working on the aquascaping with rocks.

It's not a good recipe those are more community fish. I guess if you were to leave the tank as is maybe here is a few questions

1 how big are the Cory cats

2 how big are the Africans

3 are you keeping the current stock or are you adding more

With a 6ft tank like yours, you have a lot of room to play with

And the filter is ok for now if you add more fish you will need to add another canister rated for 70g
You can do a mix of peacocks and haps and mbuna

The cats will be fine as Long as they are big.

Don't know what you mean since they max out at 4 inches meaning most won't get that big and Africans go all the way to 6 inches. Second Africans are considered aggressive and Cory cats are peaceful so I don't see all they will be ok in a African tank

Don't know what you mean since they max out at 4 inches meaning most won't get that big and Africans go all the way to 6 inches. Second Africans are considered aggressive and Cory cats are peaceful so I don't see all they will be ok in a African tank

Depending on the type some can get bigger then 6". OPs list only gets tops 4"

Depending on the type some can get bigger then 6". OPs list only gets tops 4"

Yes I looked them up before I said it :) I am sure it's been working its a 125g after all plenty of room I just don't know about long term any of the Africans can decide he wants them dead and he will kill them. I would not risk it and rehome them

So far no aggression towards the cories. They are left alone. If I decide to rehome them to my 55, what other bottoms dweller could I throw in there? I was looking at some clown loaches possibly.

So far no aggression towards the cories. They are left alone. If I decide to rehome them to my 55, what other bottoms dweller could I throw in there? I was looking at some clown loaches possibly.

I no it's been working I am just talking about long term. Also for it to continue to work you couldn't add anymore .

Yes you can move them to your 55g and they would be fine. Cory are community fish and african community and community don't mix vary well.

No loaches would also be I trouble. Either a synodontis catfish & plecos with african cichlids some may disagree with placos but they have worked for me with SA and Africans

Clown loaches MIGHT work but I'd say the chances are better if they were in the tank first. I see it often but adding them to an established I'd stay away from. Look at dwarf petricola. They are perfect size to mix w Africans and fast swimmers always moving. I will stank by my point that bottom feeders are not needed w Africans as nothin lasts more than a minute once you put it in and its hard to get it to the bottom without shiving your arm all the way down. In there. I had loaches with mine and I moved them as they were too slow to get food they needed

Back
Top Bottom