New 25gal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codygregg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new 25 gallon tank that I would like to stock with dwarf cichlids. (I want mbunas but its too small) But I don't have much experience with smaller cichlids except German Blue Rams.

I have been doing research for about two weeks now and have started narrowing it down between:

1. Another set of GBR's
2. Two Badis (very little knowledge about these)
3. Cockatoo Cichlids

I would also like to know some other fish that I could put these with to complete my tank. And am to other ideas and fish besides the ones listed. I just want something with some personality.

Tank will be planted with lots of cover and hiding places, run a AC 50 filter, with heater and T5 lighting system

I like the apistos the most (im super bias cuz I love them) but I like neon tetras or serpaes. Rasboras work as well. GBRs and apistos are similar tankmates wise. If your looking to breed they get kind of aggressive so if you are breeding, you might want to think about doing just the apistos alone. You could try tankmates tho if you really want to

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did GBR's and I have done Demasoni,

BUT

The last few weeks I have been seeing a lot of people showing off their apistos, and I am way jealous.

My advice DO APISTOS!!

Are Apistos hardy fish? Not saying I wouldn't take good care of them, I just know like GBR's are delicate fish and then there's Bolivians that are pretty hardy. Just wondering where they fit on that scale because I would have to order and ship them. (Not many fish stores in South Dakota)

85813-albums13956-picture66363.jpg

Cacatuoides or the Cockatoo Apisto is an easier one to keep. They are a little bit more common and most of them you find will be tank bred and fairly hardy. I have ordered in a number of Apistogramma so as long as you buy from a reputable breeder you shouldn't have any problems.

Cacatuoides or the Cockatoo Apisto is an easier one to keep. They are a little bit more common and most of them you find will be tank bred and fairly hardy. I have ordered in a number of Apistogramma so as long as you buy from a reputable breeder you shouldn't have any problems.
+1 they are pretty tough little fish.

That's an amazing fish! I don't know if I can wait a month, I'm to excited for them, but we'll see!

I have one I could ship now, he's the alpha dog.. Way bigger than the rest.. Pm me if you're interested..

Nice looking Cacatuoides. Very nice finnage, I've got one that looks almost identical to it with the really long fins but they aren't colored all the way through. The top is half filled in and the back is almost colored fully with just a hint on the bottom. Would this be a double red? Very nice fish, nice finnage.

Nice looking Cacatuoides. Very nice finnage, I've got one that looks almost identical to it with the really long fins but they aren't colored all the way through. The top is half filled in and the back is almost colored fully with just a hint on the bottom. Would this be a double red? Very nice fish, nice finnage.
ya he's a happy camper! Luckily I found this site early enough to know the importance of a proper diet including quality foods.. I'd like to think I may have had some bearing on his coloration but I'm sure it's just good genes.. Sharp looker he be:) thanks! And yes a double red..

Apisto's are the best. I just noticed about 10 minutes ago my Tefe Pearl Orange's have eggs on the underside of some driftwood. They are fairly young and I didn't realize they could breed at this small a size so I hope all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom