New 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This month I bought a 29 gallon tank, and I'd like to add cichlids to it

I've heard that crowding the tank a bit will help diffuse aggression among multiple fish, so I'm hoping I can get away with about nine or twelve fish (reaching about 5-6" as adults). I've also heard that I should ignore the inch per gallon rule for aggressive fish, as they require more space than typical community fish. What's the consensus regarding stocking cichlids?

Also, any suggestion regarding some fish combinations? My tank is decorated with a solid blue background and some grey and brown stones. I have three yellow labs in there right now, and they look beautiful. What else would work together and stand out agains the background?

Attachments

• 0826082012.jpg
    0826082012.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 65
There's no way you will be able to keep any African cichlids as adults in that tank unless they are shellies. You will need at least a 75 gallon tank for the fish that you are looking for. Africans are territorial and they get big. I wouln't even recommend 3-4 of them in a 29 gallon tank. I acquired 4 African cichlids with a 100g tank I bought for my discus. I had no room for the Africans so I put them in an empty 29 with some rocks while I was waiting for a friend of mine to take the Africans from me. Long story short, the Alpha male (5-6" long) so badly stressed the other three 4" fish that he killed all of them over 3 days. That is exactly what will happen in your tank if you decided to go about your initial plan.

Back
Top Bottom