New 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydesilva

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,,, I just set up my new 40 gallon yesterday and I'm starting to plan on what fish I want to get, I want to keep Malawi cichlids and I'm wonering how many can I keep in a 40 long... The fish are around 4-5" at the lfs

Thanks heaps guys

Peacock/Mbuna wise you could do anywhere from 8-12 depending if you wanted to slightly overstock (I only would say that since it's a African tank)..then you would have to overfilter (usually should anyway) and have a good WC schedule. You should also have many territory spots made from rocks too..so take the size of that into consideration.

I would get around 7-10 of them. This may be overstocking it a bit but as long as u have enough hiding spots, they should be fine.

Too little hiding spaces and territorial fights will break out so u want plenty of cichlids rocks or log/rock tunnels, etc.

Too little hiding spaces and territorial fights will break out so u want plenty of cichlids rocks or log/rock tunnels, etc.

The more cichlids you have, the more the aggression will be fanned out. So you don't have one overly aggressive one chasing and stressing/killing the less aggressive. The more spots the better, but what I stated before helps too. I have 4 Africans in my 29 with a Rainbow Shark that I had before and they all get along very well and even better since they have gotten older.

I would be getting mbunas and maybe the odd peacock.... It's well filtered and its a 40 gallon long so 150liters

I would be getting mbunas and maybe the odd peacock.... It's well filtered and its a 40 gallon long so 150liters

Yeah..especially with a long, you're lucky at the number I gave before. Cichlids and fish in general don't need top swimming room.

And also ill be adding a wave,Akers because the filters I have now don't create much water movement, how many gallons or litres per hour should it spit out for a 40 gallon

Back
Top Bottom