New 40 gallon mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SugarMaple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon tank getting ready for it's new inhabitants (still cycling). I've been adding and rearranging rocks and I'd like some opinions on what you think of it and how to possibly improve it. Thanks in advance :)

25838-albums724-picture5021.jpg

I have a bigger sponge filter on a different tank I could try switching over. I was planning on having two small ones set up (one on each side).
I have some fish bought already that are in quarantine type tanks for now. There are 2 acei, 1 red zebra, 1 bumblebee, 1 kenyi, 1 jewel, and 1 ice blue. Is that over/under stocked?

well, its not overstocked, but the jewel isnt a good idea for that tank... Jewels come from the rivers of africa, the rest come from rift lakes. Chances are, the mbuna will kill the jewel sooner or later. I guess im kind of ocd about my filters, but i am big on lots of filtration. Ive got a 55 set up with two aqua-tech 30-60's, and my 150 has a fluval 405, 305, and an aquatech 30-60. I would recommend either a filter rated for at least 70 gallons or a couple filters rated for a 40g. The one you have, and correct me if im wrong, looks more like a 20g rated filter. Also a good rule for mbuna is to keep 3+ females per male. That will keep the aggression down. You could probably do 10 fish in the tank with no problem, but you'll get a different opinion from about anybody on stocking a mbuna tank lol

Once I got the jewel home and did research I realized he didn't belong but so far he's getting along fine. If the others start picking on him too much I'll just keep him separate from the rest. Yeah the filter is probably for a 20 gallon. I had it sitting around so I put it in just so something was there for the moment. I'll bring the bigger filter up later today. If ten fish is recommended by more people I'm thinking of getting one more acei (to make 3 total) and 2 more red zebras both at one male two female ratio.

The first thing you need to do is get yourself a good filter, then if you dont already have one, a liquid test kit. Are you feeding the tank right now?

I have a paper test kit. What is a good test kit to get? I just picked one out that had everything I'm supposed to check for cycling on it. Right now I have 6 of my guppies in there and I've been adding filter media and such from my other tanks to help this one cycle.

oh ok, sounds like youre on the right path... i didnt see anything in there is why i asked. i like the API Master FW Test Kit... It tests ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, and high range ph. It will last for some time unless you test every day lol... Ive never used the strips, but everybody on here that has used them will tell you they are incredibly innacurate. Once you get a liquid test kit, compare the results from the two and post, id be interested just to see real results lol. Oh, depending on where you live, it may be cheaper to order the test kit from somewhere online... I ran across a really good deal on mine and got it for $20.97 at a local store, plus 20% off, but you can usually find them online for about $30 shipped vs most stores (ie petsmart) sell them for around $35

Yea on my last test, two of the results I got weren't even on the chart of colors but I think that that was good. I was planning on checking again today and taking some water samples out to petsmart and having them test it too just to see if they get something different. If I go today I'll take a look and see if they have that tester there. Thanks for all the help and quick responses :)

I went to the store and returned my test strips. They decided that the kit had water damage during transport. I also bought a new filter and some water conditions and such that were recommended based on the results of my water test. The new filter can go through up to 300 gph. I can't wait for the tank to be done with my cichlids in it.

Alot of people like those filters. They seem to have a very good reputation. That will be MUCH better for your tank than the other filter youve got, and having both of them will be even better :) Two filters is ALWAYS better than one

Back
Top Bottom