New 50 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfmastin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Folks,
I'm setting up a 50 gallon tank (Aquarium Blog) that I plan to plant heavily and then add German blue rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi). I imagine I'll go with one male and two females. An emerald green Cory is currently the sole occupant. Is this Cory going to be a good tank mate for the rams? I don't plan on breeding, but if eggs are laid I'd like the chance for the eggs/fry to survive. Would the Cory eat the eggs?

So, one, should I keep the Cory in this tank? Two, what would be other good members of a community tank with blue rams as the stars? I'm thinking in addition to the rams:
Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) two or three
Red Cherry Shrimp two or three
Some schooling Tetras like neons, rummy-nose, or cardinals about a dozen
Any comments, corrections, or suggestions?
You can follow my progress (or lack thereof) here: Aquarium Blog

Thanks in advance!
David

Welcome to AA David! If you definitely want to breed the rams and raise the fry, I'd say that the cory may cause trouble with the eggs. Also, cories are quite social and would prefer to be in groups. Of the other fish / shrimp you listed, all are potential though not certain egg eaters.

Your tank is looking great!

Thanks for the reply. I have much work to do. I hope to have plants by Monday and fish soon thereafter. I understand that any of the tank mates I'm considering could be egg eaters. I guess I'll just setup a breeding tank if I my interests lead me in that direction. I should accept a community tank is not a breeding tank. I recently was surprised to read that cories are social and I'm not too happy about just having the one. Thanks for the reminder.

Welcome to AA David! If you definitely want to breed the rams and raise the fry, I'd say that the cory may cause trouble with the eggs. Also, cories are quite social and would prefer to be in groups. Of the other fish / shrimp you listed, all are potential though not certain egg eaters.

Your tank is looking great!

Back
Top Bottom