New 55-60 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottM23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm starting a new Cichlid tank hopefully in the near future. I haven't done anything with this yet only coming up with ideas and putting my thoughts together. I haven't kept Cichlids in many years but I really enjoyed them when I did. I'm an amateur at best when it comes to Cichlid keeping but I've kept many tanks since I was about 5 years old. I've been thinking about what I want to stock in this tank and I've come up with a few ideas. I want a large fish which will essentially be the centerpiece of the tank. I've been researching and considering Blue Acaras, Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, and Green Terror cichlids. I just can't decide on which ones to keep. I've heard some bad things about keeping the Dempseys, I've heard inbreeding has made them less hardy and lessened their coloration. How do I get one with good genes if I'm looking for one? I also realize they're known for uprooting plants same as the Blue Acaras. How bad is it? I could plant some large Anubis so hopefully they'll make it. Is there anything else I should know before deciding? As for Blue Acaras they don't grow quite big enough for what I'm looking for. However, their temperament is nice. I like the idea of not having to worry as much about stocking. Finally, the Green Terror Cichlids. I realize they're very aggressive much like the Dempseys, however I'm willing to deal with that. I've read online that they are harder to keep then the Dempseys or Acaras. Is that true? As essentially a beginner in Cichlid keeping which one would you guys recommend? I'm open to all information and any other recommendations for stocking. Thanks in advance!

Green Terrors aren't hard to keep, but get too big for your tank, really. Instead of a 55g, I would suggest a 75g or even a 90g. The footprint is the same length as a 55g, a bit deeper and taller, but won't really make much difference in how much room space they take up, and the extra volume would increase your stocking options.
With any of the fish you mentioned, I would avoid live plants. If you want a fairly large, peaceful center-point fish, consider severums. Golds are probably most peaceful, but none are as aggressive as their reputation suggests, and they don't root as much as many cichlids do, so your live plants will stand a better chance. They usually reach about 8" with a fairly round shape, so will really stand out in a tank.

Thank you for the advice! I will rule out the Green Terror then, I only want at most a 60 gallon tank. Do you think the plants will still be uprooted if I attach it to some drift wood or a rock? Instead of burying it in the substrate. Live plants aren't a must I just remember that being one of my favorite parts of freshwater fish keeping.

Electric Blue JDs are less aggressive than their standard colored counterparts. Mine moves some of my smaller decor around a bit, but doesn't completely redecorate the tank the way my oscars do. I think if you can attach your live plants to something more stable, they may be OK with an EBJD.

Thank you very much! I was already almost sold on EBJDs but I think that's what I'm gonna get. I think I'm only gonna get one in my 55 gallon. Would you recommend getting a male? I'm assuming they have brighter colors in this species. Sadly with these fish I've heard that a lot of inbreeding occurs in the hobby. How do I get one I know has good genes? Thanks a lot!

I would recommend getting your fish from a LFS rather than a big chain pet store. They usually have better quality fish than the chain stores. I have an 8" female EBJD, and she has remarkable coloration. I would try to get a fish that's 3-4" rather than a small juvenile, so you have a better idea of the adult coloration.

I would recommend getting your fish from a LFS rather than a big chain pet store. They usually have better quality fish than the chain stores. I have an 8" female EBJD, and she has remarkable coloration. I would try to get a fish that's 3-4" rather than a small juvenile, so you have a better idea of the adult coloration.

What it I ordered it online from a place like Live Aquaria vs. a LFS. Which one would be my best bet?

I don't often order fish online because I like to see what I'm getting first hand, but the few times I have ordered online, I was happy with the fish I received. Never used LiveAquaria though. Still, if your LFS has them, IMO, go that route so you can see your fish before purchase.

I don't often order fish online because I like to see what I'm getting first hand, but the few times I have ordered online, I was happy with the fish I received. Never used LiveAquaria though. Still, if your LFS has them, IMO, go that route so you can see your fish before purchase.

That's a good point, thank you. I see them every once in awhile at my LFS but it's spotty. I could have them specially order them I've only done before with coral. But, I've always been pleased. I've never specially ordered fish before but that's definitely an option. If I don't like the fish they have I hate to tell them no. Have you ever been in that situation before? I know they could probably sell them but I hate to do that.

Have several lfs near me and they love to compete for your business, they'll be more than happy to special order them for you.
If you don't like the quality when they get here chances are the lfs (if a good one) won't either.
Have kept cichlids in the past and ebjd's are a good choice imho.

Have several lfs near me and they love to compete for your business, they'll be more than happy to special order them for you.
If you don't like the quality when they get here chances are the lfs (if a good one) won't either.
Have kept cichlids in the past and ebjd's are a good choice imho.

Thanks! I'll take you guys advice

Let's say for whatever reason I change my mind and go with the Acaras. How many Electric Blue Acaras could I keep in a 55 gallon? 2-3? They're quite a bit smaller than the Jack Dempseys.

I'm not an expert on cichlids, they came with my tank before I rehomed them.
Hopefully someone else can answer, but check out aqadvisor (? not sure I spelled right) it's a website that has a stocking calculator.

Back
Top Bottom