Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New 55 gal cichlid tank. Ideas?

So in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be getting a 55 gallon fish tank. I'm wanting to stock it with african cichlids. Anyone have any specific breeds that would look good and go well together? And types of plants/decorations they prefer if any. I'm going to be doing my own research as well too so please don't be mean, thanks!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helloelliee
So in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be getting a 55 gallon fish tank. I'm wanting to stock it with african cichlids. Anyone have any specific breeds that would look good and go well together? And types of plants/decorations they prefer if any. I'm going to be doing my own research as well too so please don't be mean, thanks!
Im not a chichlid guy, but i do know get all of them from the same lake.

As for decorations, i love the look of white sand and lots of rocks and slate thrown in to give it a "rubble" type look. I think it totally compliments those crazy fish

Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking of doing sand as well but I've never dealt with sand before. I know a lot of people say that it can get into your filter and ruin it, I'd hate for that to happen! I would love to have sand though. I'm going to research on that. Thanks(:
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was thinking of doing sand as well but I've never dealt with sand before. I know a lot of people say that it can get into your filter and ruin it, I'd hate for that to happen! I would love to have sand though. I'm going to research on that. Thanks(:
As for sand, I would go with a course pool filter sand. Dont get play sand because it turns to mud when you clean it and it tends to float more. Pfs is really good but they also sell cichlid sand
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Yes it could, but i have seen many chichlid tanks with sand before, so there must be a way to keep it out of your filters easily
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
The issue with sand in the filter is easily resolved by putting a sponge on the intake or shortening the intake tube. If the intake is in about the middle of the tank height wise you should be fine. I have sand in all my tanks and it's not a big deal as long as the intake is away from the bottom, Africans loft to sift sand and doing this easily remedies the issue.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Oh and to clarify I use play sand with no issues it just requires more rinsing. I live in a small town pfs is not easy to find
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay I've been researching sand, I think I'm going to go with PFS. They sell it at my home depot for 5.48 for 50 lbs! Man if I would've known sand was that much cheaper than gravel I would've went with that the sand the first time. I spend 80 dollars just on gravel on my first 55 gallon tank I had. So how do you go about cleaning the sand before putting it in the tank for the first time? Thanks for all the inputs guys(:
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
The issue with sand in the filter is easily resolved by putting a sponge on the intake or shortening the intake tube. If the intake is in about the middle of the tank height wise you should be fine. I have sand in all my tanks and it's not a big deal as long as the intake is away from the bottom, Africans loft to sift sand and doing this easily remedies the issue.
I'm sorry putting a sponge on the intake tube? I've never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea. How do you do it exactly? Sorry I'm still a little new on fish keeping!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

And what kind of algae eaters/bottom dwellers can you put in with african cichlids? I'm guessing corys are out of the question?

Tags
55 gallon, cichlid, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com