New 55 gal cichlid tank stock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeap i ordered mine from aquabid.com i paid $36 total. I only did priority shippin and they got here within 3days. If you have a place other then the big chain stores you should be able to bring in the scientific name and have them ordered .

Your going to pay that much^^ getting them in the store with sales tax

Yeah pretty much I found one where it's only 19 for shipping instead of 35 , but the guy I bought the afra said he would try to get some mainganos for me, so I'm going to wait see, what's the best thing to feed the cichlids ? I have medium floating pellets that I just bought, would that be good enough?

I use mini floating pellets that are hikari cichlid excel andrew also usies them except he gets sinking pellets.. i also use the omega one veggie pellets that sink i break mine in pieces n throw them in the tank ..

Just make sure you dont feed to much protien .. im think your are omnivores if i remember correctly. But i dont know about the afras. Imbsure andrew knows n can chime in...

This is what I bought, I has protein so not sure if it may be right for them, I can always go exchange it

image-2865256341.jpg

How much.. its ok to have some .. i think it was not over 15% is what i read ill have to check but im sure once andrew gets time to respond he can tell you in more detail then i can but ill check my food to so i can atleast share that info

How much.. its ok to have some .. i think it was not over 15% is what i read ill have to check but im sure once andrew gets time to respond he can tell you in more detail then i can but ill check my food to so i can atleast share that info

Ok let me change this its not protein thats 15% it was another thread on here i read something about not exceding 15% ash in your food but im not sure why.. my cichlid excel has 35% crude protein , 4% crude fat , 13% crude ash, 3% fiber...

I went into a store looking for mainganos , under the assorted cichlid tank I found this one , how can u tell if it is a maingano or a Blue Johanni ?

image-4013757216.jpg

image-2557304947.jpg

I went into a store looking for mainganos , under the assorted cichlid tank I found this one , how can u tell if it is a maingano or a Blue Johanni ?

You really can't till they get older. The only way is if it shows any yellow at all then it's a johanni

I aske for the scientific name they received it under and my lfs told me .. but most of the time it is johanni.. i read the johanni has more dashes instead of lines ill try to link it on the thread so u can see a better pic of them together to help its almost impossible though.. atleast for me

I should be fully stock now , I also got the Pleco

image-548232130.jpg

I have 16

5 labs
5 afra cobues
5 mainganos
1 Pleco

How often do you feed your cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom