New 55 gallon Setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zipperfly58

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks to everyone who replied to me canister filter question, I think I will go with the API EP-L. My next question is as follows and advice or experience and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I just bought a new 55 gallon. Right now it is sitting empty. My question is how do I go about transferring my Mbuna's from a 38 established bow front into my new 55 gallon. I want to add new gravel and decor as well as a new canister filter and still keep my 38 bow up and running and restock with juvenile Mbuna's.
I have read so many different ways to do it.

Thank you all.

Id start by soaking all your new media in your established tank. Soak your new substrate and make sure its clean

Last year I had a similar situation.

Because I'm super cautious I filled the new tank partly with new water, but also filled it with a few buckets of the old tank water instead of throwing it out. I also put my new sand in.

I ran the filter from the old tank on the new tank. I ran the new filter on the old tank (after soaking the new filter media in the old water).

When the levels in the new tank were normal I still waited a week to put my fish in it. Can't be too safe, you know.

Thanks, but what do I do if I want to keep the existing tank that hold the fish currently up and running ? This is where I am a bit unsure of how to approach.

Id start by soaking all your new media in your established tank. Soak your new substrate and make sure its clean
Do this^^^

Once your media is soaked for a couple days you can put it in your new filter. When you do a water change in your old tank just put the water you take out into your new tank. Then refill both tanks and check the parameters on both tanks. You should be fairly close to go to go at that point. Obviously make sure you have everything else you need like heat and such.

Not that sounds reasonable to me OsciTheOscar and makes total sense, thank you.

If you need your new tank to cycle a bit, you can keep your new tank fish inside the old one but use a separater or something while the new tank sets up

Thanks, I plan on placing my Africans from the existing tank and then put in new tank when it's ready. They are out growing the bow front. I then plan to breed in the old tank.

Back
Top Bottom