New 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im setting up a 55 gal. Tank with african lake malawui cichlids. I have the tank and a filter for it. I need to know how to cycle the tank and need to know how to work with a heavy planted tank. I wanted the tank to have a real rock deco. With heavily planted real plants. I also am wondering what else I need and the pricing. Id like to make this as cheap as possible. Tips and pointers are greatly appreciated.

Most of Lake Malawi Cichlids don't get along with plants as most of us have tryed and very little with success. If I was to try it again I'd buy small clay pots to plant in then bury it into sand. Then put rocks around it so the fish can't dig it up. The other problem will be them pulling them out of the pot. So if they have a good strong root system going on you may be ok. Most cichlid keepers say to try anabus and java ferns because they don't like the taste of them. I had them and it didn't go over well. So you may want to save your money on that. You can also try only keeping carnivores and then maybe they won't dig them up or pull them out.

As for cycling here are two links one is for fishless the other is doing it with fish. You can choose and there are many people here that can help you if you need it. I always do fish in cycles because I can't stand to look at an empty tank for weeks. But it does take a lot of time testing and doing water changes.

Fishless cycle
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Fish in
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Im setting up a 55 gal. Tank with african lake malawui cichlids. I have the tank and a filter for it. I need to know how to cycle the tank and need to know how to work with a heavy planted tank. I wanted the tank to have a real rock deco. With heavily planted real plants. I also am wondering what else I need and the pricing. Id like to make this as cheap as possible. Tips and pointers are greatly appreciated.

If you want CHEAP..get a goldfish.
Just kidding, actually I'm not this hobby can get quite expensive.

MikeWidd said:
If you want CHEAP..get a goldfish.
Just kidding, actually I'm not this hobby can get quite expensive.

Yea Africans can cost a pretty little penny for some well more like most compared to tropical fish. Plus the plants the filters the rocks the sand what am I forgetting I know its something lol

So if I donf do the plants then what should I put in it? I dont just want a tank with rocks and sand. Oh and if I go to say home depot and buy beach sand will that be okay to use?

So if I donf do the plants then what should I put in it? I dont just want a tank with rocks and sand. Oh and if I go to say home depot and buy beach sand will that be okay to use?

It will..Just rinse it very, very well before you put it in the tank.

chrisgaucher said:

If you mean play sand yes I have the quickrete play sand but others like the all-purpose sand better. Idk tho I've never used it :)

I went from real plants to fake plants to all natural with no plants. In their natural habitat its mostly just rocks and sand very little if any plants. You can try keeping just carnivores and they should be ok if you really want plants.

Andrew McFadden said:
Most of Lake Malawi Cichlids don't get along with plants as most of us have tryed and very little with success. If I was to try it again I'd buy small clay pots to plant in then bury it into sand. Then put rocks around it so the fish can't dig it up. The other problem will be them pulling them out of the pot. So if they have a good strong root system going on you may be ok. Most cichlid keepers say to try anabus and java ferns because they don't like the taste of them. I had them and it didn't go over well. So you may want to save your money on that. You can also try only keeping carnivores and then maybe they won't dig them up or pull them out.

As for cycling here are two links one is for fishless the other is doing it with fish. You can choose and there are many people here that can help you if you need it. I always do fish in cycles because I can't stand to look at an empty tank for weeks. But it does take a lot of time testing and doing water changes.

Fishless cycle
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Fish in
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

+1 on carnivores & plants, my ruby red has Subwassertang in his tank, he doesn't touch it at all. Plants with the other guys? Forget about it lol! What kind of filtration you got or thinking about? I swear by Handy Sand brand all purpose sand, it comes 95% clean. Very little rinsing involved and its heavy enough that when the fish make sandstorms it never reaches the intakes so no worry about burning up your impellers :)

Okay good to know! Ill figure something, out instead of plants. Ill need more help later on. tomorrow im going to buy the sand and rocks. any suggestions on any other type of big fish? Idk if im going to stick with cichlids.

chrisgaucher said:
Okay good to know! Ill figure something, out instead of plants. Ill need more help later on. tomorrow im going to buy the sand and rocks. any suggestions on any other type of big fish? Idk if im going to stick with cichlids.

Sorry, I'm no help in other cichlids, I <3 Africans so I'm a bit biased haha!

chrisgaucher said:

I'm the same as pistol pistol with the rift lake Cichlids. I think but not sure that sa/ca Cichlids will be fine with plants maybe someone will chime in for them. African riverine Cichlids I believe will be good with plants but most of them don't get really big. Look into this link but stay away from lake tanganyika,Malawi and victoria if doing plants.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

Haha okay! Ive never had them before. What makes them so cool and why do people like you love them so much?! Haha

chrisgaucher said:
Haha okay! Ive never had them before. What makes them so cool and why do people like you love them so much?! Haha

They are the closest freshwater fish to saltwater without going into satwater. They are really colorful, active and personal.

Andrew McFadden said:
I'm the same as pistol pistol with the rift lake Cichlids. I think but not sure that sa/ca Cichlids will be fine with plants maybe someone will chime in for them. African riverine Cichlids I believe will be good with plants but most of them don't get really big. Look into this link but stay away from lake tanganyika,Malawi and victoria if doing plants.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

My big Texas cichlid loves to destroy plants to. It is rather entertaining to watch tho.

Ive noticed the colors a personal thing with my brothers fish. Its awesome!

My Texas likes to stop fights between other fish and decorate the tank he will pick up this one small piece of coral and move it around and even stand it upright lol he's so entertaining

Back
Top Bottom