New 55 gallon tank, need help...compatible cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellemorphet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a new 55 gallon tank (this is my first "large" tank!) and I need some help with finding compatible cichlids. I would like a variety of brightly colored fish. A lady at PetSmart told me that South American cichlids are easier to care for? She also said to add about 2 fish at a time, wait a couple days, then add 2 more, as well as add new decorations/change decorations to make them think they are in a different tank to decrease aggression. So far I have the tank set up with gravel and a large (fake) driftwood ornament in the middle of the tank with lots of holes for fish to swim through. I have other decorations as well to use in the tank but plan to add these as I add more fish. I used a water treatment and am waiting a couple of days for the water to get to room temperature, etc before I add any fish. Since I am a beginner, what type of cichlids would you recommend, what cichlids are compatiple, and how many can I have in my 55 gallon tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

You can't do much with south American cichlids in that tank... I would do an African tank like Malawi or peacocks as you can house 3 species with 4-5 in each specie. You would have to have a 1 male to every four females to keep agression down. IMO that's the way to go with that sized tank.

first of all do you know anything about cycling a tank? i would recommend you read up on it before you add any fish to your tank and get yourself a good test kit such as an API liquid test kit. I would say go with mbuna cichlids, such as yellow labs and red zebras. that way you can have a very colorful tank with more then only 1 or 2 fish. Peacocks are a good choice as well.

I have been reading about Malawi Mbuna...they are very colorful and from what I've read pretty easy to care for....unfortunately the local pet store does not have any and my only option is to get them online. Any tips/suggestions for buying fish online? I have been looking at Live Fish Direct's website...right now the Acei has caught my eye (said they were mildly aggressive) and the Cynotilapia afra "Cobue". My plan was to buy 2-3 of one species and later 2-3 of another, and so on. Also, I do not know anything about cycling a tank and will read up on it. Thank you!

for food i would get New Life Spectrum (NLS) cichlid food, or omega one.

When choosing mbuna you have to be carefull to read up and make sure that they wont get too aggressive or too large for your tank, acei get very large and are usually only recommended for tanks that are at least four feet in length. The other species I have not kept before, so I don't know there requirements. Also you'll want to do groups of five for each species, with a proper male to female ratio which would be 1 male to every 4 females. When buying online you can't always choose, or you can't always rely on them to correctly sex fish.

Hi and welcome. You'll want to give these links a read; they explain cycling and why you might want to cycle the tank prior to getting fish, unless you're prepared to test water daily and do frequent water changes for 1-3 months to keep your fish safe:

Fishless cycling: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

FIsh-in cycling: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

If you are looking for ideas for a Stocking list for a 55 gallon mbnua I would think

5 Yellow Labs, (adult are 5 inches) 5 Acei (adults get to 6inches)
5 Red Zebra (adults get to 5 inches) maybe a BN Pleco. You'll need have extra Filtration since it is overstocked. (This will help in any aggression). So you might want to have enough as to cover an 125 gallon tank.

When choosing mbuna you have to be carefull to read up and make sure that they wont get too aggressive or too large for your tank, acei get very large and are usually only recommended for tanks that are at least four feet in length. The other species I have not kept before, so I don't know there requirements. Also you'll want to do groups of five for each species, with a proper male to female ratio which would be 1 male to every 4 females. When buying online you can't always choose, or you can't always rely on them to correctly sex fish.

Acei typically get to 6 inches kinda of big but maybe you were thinking of a Frontosa...They get huge....

michellemorphet said:
I have been reading about Malawi Mbuna...they are very colorful and from what I've read pretty easy to care for....unfortunately the local pet store does not have any and my only option is to get them online. Any tips/suggestions for buying fish online? I have been looking at Live Fish Direct's website...right now the Acei has caught my eye (said they were mildly aggressive) and the Cynotilapia afra "Cobue". My plan was to buy 2-3 of one species and later 2-3 of another, and so on. Also, I do not know anything about cycling a tank and will read up on it. Thank you!

PetSmart almost always has a stock of Yellow Labs, which are Mbuna, very pretty and very easy to care for. They label them "Electric Yellow Cichlid." Those are perfect for a 55. They look great in a group of 5 or more. I shop frequently at PetSmart, but take any advice they give with a grain of salt. A better source of information is this forum. Since you are new, do yourself a favor and post your ideas before you purchase. Returning fish is no fun. Just be patient and do a lot of research.

A few basic tips that I have picked up in this forum:
- If you are going with Africans, many will suggest that you pick either Mbuna, Peacocks, or Haps, but not to mix them.
- Only purchase fish that will not exceed 5" (for a standard 55 gallon tank).
- Keep fish with similar temperaments (use http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles at a starting point for reference).
- Many will also suggest that really no other species can go with Mbuna except certain tough Synodontis.
- Opinions vary on all of this any anything else you learn. Just listen to everyone and go with the popular opinion of folks that obviously have experience (usually, more posts=more experience, but not always).

Have fun!

I just finished stocking my cycled 55 gallon Malawi tank. I went with 5 Yellow Labs (4 F-1M) and 5 Acei (4F-1M). I am considering adding a few Metriclima estherae "Red Zebra" or Iodotropheus sprengerae "Rusty Cichlid;" I have lots of filtration The "Cobue" you mentioned grow to about 3".

Once you are cycled, 2-3 fish at a time may be tricky since the Mbunas you speak of are a little agressive and are territorial. You may have to move your decor around when you add the new batch of fish to mitigate agression. The people at Pet Smart usually recommend only 2-3 at a time, perhaps because they assume the typical tank is not cycled (minimize loss). A properly cycled tank can handle the stocking numbers of a properly stocked and filtered aquarium. There is lots of good stocking advice in AA.

Ok, Africans are so dang easy. All I do is a 10% water change once a month! And clean the filter then also. It's worked well for almost a year now. Water it pretty clear, and fish seem healthy. But I am extremely careful not to feed to much. I make sure none gets to the bottom to create waste. I have various live plants and only 6-8 fish of decent 3-5 in. Size. I only take out 10% a month, but another 20-30% exits via evaporation. Love them, easiest fish, look the best and grow quick depending on species. -bumblebee, blue acei= lightening speed quick.

I ordered all my fish fom www.livedishdirect.com all are doing great not one sick fish delivered. I have an afra cobue from them and it is a beauty when it colors up.make sure you do a ton of research before.

If it was me I would go with
3-yellow fin mbamba. 4" j have these and I love them
3-Afra cobue. 4" I have this to great fish
4-Yellow lab. 4" we all have this its a must have in all African tanks
3-Red zebra. 5" same with this one must have
1-acei. 6" because you want it
1-Cuckoo catfish. 6" I went with pictus catfish cause they don't cost so much and good for a bottom feeder to eat the left overs LOL like there will be any

All males
I wish I would have never got females cause I cant catch them in the rocks and because I have a 180 gallon. They just don't stop breeding witch means a lot of work from YOU

The frequency and percentage of water changes depends on the size of the tank and types and quantities of fish. Most folks do 30% - 50% weekly at least. In a balanced, cycled tank, only Nitrates will remain form the Nitrogen cycle. Keep in mind that Nitrates do not evaporate with the water. They need to be removed by water changes. You should get a good water testing kit and test your water frequently. Adjust your percentage and frequency of water changes until you can keep your water parameters acceptable. Fish love fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom