Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New 75 Gallon (thinking african)

Been cycling for just under a month. Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 10ppm. Currently there is 2 rainbow sharks in the tank (used them for cycling) they alway seem to do well while cycling. So I am thinking Africian! It's been about 7 years since I had an aquarium running, but I don't feel like having another dull community of random fish. I think I like Lake Malawi best and will be starting by adding 4 electric yellow labs (1 male 3 female) and 4 Synodontis Petricola. So here's my question.

What would make good tank mates (I like color, lots of color) lol. But seriously, any suggestions? The information available seems to be very misleading depending on which book you read or who you ask.

Tank info:
75 gallon
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10ppm
Filteration: Whisper 60(already had this laying around) and Marineland 360
Heat: Eth 300 inline (main) Top fin 300 watt (back up)
Substrate: medium sand
Decoration: stone structures built from natural slate and lime stone (adding more)
Plants: none added yet, adding java fern as soon as they get here
Lighting: fluoresent (max 8 hours per day)

Thanks in advance
Zaedon

Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Labs, Demasoni, zebras Are good Mbuna...With good lighting they look amazing. But if you want to spend the dough, get peacocks. You cant beat them until you go reef. IMHO

Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Peacocks are kind of nice. The females are definitely a bit plain though. I don't see having much variety with peacocks without creating an opportunity for hybridization. I considered adding a few to the overall population, but changed my mind due to potential diet issues.
Demasoni and zebras could be interesting.

I was also looking at:
Pseudotropheus minutus

Pundamilia nyererei (Lake Victoria, I know) but environmental and diet needs are very similar.

Xystichhromis phytophagus (Also lake Victoria with very similar requiremtents)

Melanochromis johanni

So what do you think? I would very much appreciate opions/ideas.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

acei cichlids are very bright, and they are active swimmers. i recomend you get a couple of them.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Acie are very colorful and when you have multiple fish they school together which I like. Filebournie are good to.

If you mix yellow labs with zebras they with hybridize. My red zebra breeds with my yellow lab. They produce a cool looking hybrid but I don't know If you want that to happen.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy37 View Post
Acie are very colorful and when you have multiple fish they school together which I like. Filebournie are good to.

If you mix yellow labs with zebras they with hybridize. My red zebra breeds with my yellow lab. They produce a cool looking hybrid but I don't know If you want that to happen.
I'm going to do some homework on Acie and Filebournie to see exactly what they are.

I prefer not to hybridize and am very careful about not buying hybrids. I was at PetSmart the other day looking at some Synodontis Petricolas that were obviously not Petricolas. I actually called over the sales associate and asked that they change the name as they were hybrids. She wasn't to happy about it. She was even more annoyed when I asked to speak to the store manager about false advertising laws. I wonder how many people bought them thinking they were Petricola.
I tend to order fish shipped overnight or directly from local breeders. Unfortunately I can not find a good source for Petricolas that I trust.

Do you mean Labeotropheus fuelleborni? Thye look kind of nice, but the information available seems to vary as to the overall size of these fish. Seems that maximum size varies between 4" to 8". Electric yellows seem to be around 4" to 5" max. I don't know how comportable I would be with a 8" fish in there to kick them around.

Acei's seem to be a bit closer in size and I will be looking at them a lot closer. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you should look at some more peacocks...There is many many species of them...And by no means are they plain...I think you saw some thing else...check this .Not plain lol
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CC4Q9QEwAQ
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

South American .... Electric blue jack Dempsey.... Fire mouth.... Texas cichlids
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmedic25 View Post
I think you should look at some more peacocks...There is many many species of them...And by no means are they plain...I think you saw some thing else...check this .Not plain lol
Redirect Notice
I got it to work! I don't mean they are all plain, just females are mostly plain. I see there are a lot of different species, however most of those species are of the same genu. I am under the impression that being from the same genu lends way to hybridization.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
South American .... Electric blue jack Dempsey.... Fire mouth.... Texas cichlids
I don't think they will go so well with the elcetric yellows. Different environmental needs and huge size difference.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, african

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com