New 90 Gallon Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha I have four kenyi and yes they are highly aggressive.I think I get away with it through sheer tank size and cover.
I would suggest some red top hongi.They hold their own very well and have great colour too.

Yep that's a good ratio.Wont completely kill aggression but boy will it help...

Thanks I will update as soon as they go in!!

One more thing, how many fish is to many fish in this tank? Since they spawn when conditions are right, at what point to you scoop out the babies? Or do you remove the adults and start over?

I would personally say 20 to 25 fish for your tank.There are conflicting views out there but that's my personal recommendation.
As for fry if your water conditions are good your fish WILL breed have no doubt but the chances of survival for the fry are pretty slim.Occasionally however a few do survive given plenty of cover.

garfy said:
I would personally say 20 to 25 fish for your tank.There are conflicting views out there but that's my personal recommendation.
As for fry if your water conditions are good your fish WILL breed have no doubt but the chances of survival for the fry are pretty slim.Occasionally however a few do survive given plenty of cover.

That's what I figured but I know they will breed if conditions allow. You didn't say anything about the synodontis catfish.

Sorry that completely slipped my mind.Synodontis are great with Malawi cichlids.
I have 2 x Petricola and 2 x multipunctatus they are not bothered at all by the cichlids and in my opinion much better looking and more active than pleco's.A great addition to any Malawi tank....

garfy said:

I know 20-25 sounds right but I'd be saying 17-20. An 90 gallon has the same 48"L as a 55 and 75 gallon tank.

Be warned, it's hit or miss with EB Hap Ahli. I have one myself and it has caused no trouble at all. However there are three at my LFS that cannot coexist with any other fish or it kills them.

Andrew McFadden said:
Looks real good i hope they dont tear up your plants like tjey did mine

They are fake so hopefully not too bad. I tell you what though old media jump starts the tank!!

Back
Top Bottom