New addition. ID please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have no clue what they are, but you picked up some awesome looking fish

Andrew McFadden said:
I don't think those are Malawi they kinda look like Julidochromis Marlieri

Yeah didn't mean to say they ARE Malawi just that they were in the tank with a bunch at the LFS. They were in a 75g and the guy said they were holding there own so I picked up 2 on a store credit.

Yeah that's them!! And thanks. I know some may frown for mixing but I like to have a variety of all different "wow" factor fish in my "show" tank. It just makes for GREAT conversation when everyone is always like what is that and oh wow what is this! Or holy ...... What is that!! I like the fact that I have a mixed tank right or wrong I like it. And if we all went by the book I feel the hobby would never grow, JMHO.

Sorry if I insult some but it's jut how I feel.

Big.Jon said:
Nice looking fish. How big are they?

Thanks! There about 2 inches. The guy at the LFS (joe) said not to put anything smaller in my tank. I couldn't resist. So I took 2. Now I'm waiting for this crazy looking loaches he's getting in this week.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah that's them!! And thanks. I know some may frown for mixing but I like to have a variety of all different "wow" factor fish in my "show" tank. It just makes for GREAT conversation when everyone is always like what is that and oh wow what is this! Or holy ...... What is that!! I like the fact that I have a mixed tank right or wrong I like it. And if we all went by the book I feel the hobby would never grow, JMHO.

Sorry if I insult some but it's jut how I feel.

Yes sir i agree. Its just like writing an essay in my opinion, you have to know the rules in order to break them. If you know that mixing can cause problems you will be more cautious and smart about it. The real danger is people who dont even know the rule :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yes sir i agree. Its just like writing an essay in my opinion, you have to know the rules in order to break them. If you know that mixing can cause problems you will be more cautious and smart about it. The real danger is people who dont even know the rule :)

I 100% agree. Just have to be smart about it.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks! There about 2 inches. The guy at the LFS (joe) said not to put anything smaller in my tank. I couldn't resist. So I took 2. Now I'm waiting for this crazy looking loaches he's getting in this week.

What kind of loaches are they? Hillstream loaches?

Tcal01 said:
What kind of loaches are they? Hillstream loaches?

The Loaches that are coming I don't know the name. I'm waiting to see what they look like. He said there like zebra stripped and look like the Botia loach.

Convict2161 said:
The Loaches that are coming I don't know the name. I'm waiting to see what they look like. He said there like zebra stripped and look like the Botia loach.

Are they these guys? Laos multi stripes pygmy loaches

Attachments

• image_medium.jpeg
    image_medium.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 126
Convict2161 said:
I 100% agree. Just have to be smart about it.

And I don't mean this to sound yuppity. But. You didn't know what fish they were, yet you bought 2 of them and put them in your tank. Isn't that being a little reckless, if were talking about being smart in mixing?

Convict2161 said:

Sounds like a botia striata. But. So many loaches have stripes it is hard to tell until you see them! Even then, they still may need to be IDed since some look so similar.

Also, on my earlier comment. I mean no offense. I am sure, especially since you are a veteran fish keeper, that your tank will function great even mixed. I just meant that proper research is one of the first things we tell newbies on here! Although we all have succumb to impulse buys ;)

No offense taken. I did ask the name and forgot. It's on my receipt and I saw them in a African Cichlid tank a 75g with the same stock as mine so yes I grabbed the 2 cause he said they do better in pairs. I asked how long he's had them in the tank he said 3 weeks and they were eating and doing fine.

Your absolutely correct and that's why I asked all the questions and I felt confident in buying them. And I trust the guy. There have been plenty of time where he has told me no way will those work or don't even try it.

Convict2161 said:
No offense taken. I did ask the name and forgot. It's on my receipt and I saw them in a African Cichlid tank a 75g with the same stock as mine so yes I grabbed the 2 cause he said they do better in pairs. I asked how long he's had them in the tank he said 3 weeks and they were eating and doing fine.

Your absolutely correct and that's why I asked all the questions and I felt confident in buying them. And I trust the guy. There have been plenty of time where he has told me no way will those work or don't even try it.

Okie doke! I apologize, from the info given I thought you went and bought them all willy nilly! Glad to hear we still have responsible fish keepers :)

Back
Top Bottom