Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New additions! Just picked up a pair of Kenyi's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394683709.950667.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	227732

I'm pretty excited to find a new LFS that has 4"+ and lots of freshwater options.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Nice looking fish, hopefully you have more than just those two. Kenyi are mbuna, and mbuna do not pair. You need to keep a harem of females with your male, especially with Kenyi. If those are the only two you have, the male will likely kill the female rather quickly.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the input I'm still new at this but I do have 7 other Mbuna in the tank but only the 2 Kenyi type.

To the best of my knowledge with help from forums and LFS guys
2 Acei (M)
An albino socolofi (F)
A red zebra (F)
Yellow lab (M)
2 OB (1M,1F)

I have 2 female peacocks around too.

I plan on more but just adding 4 or so at a time. I have plenty of hiding places.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hiding places are good, and you will generally be ok with small numbers so long as they are juveniles. How large is your tank? With mbuna, the generally stocking suggestion is 1 male with 3 or 4 females. With Kenyi I recommend a 6' tank and a large number of females, and a single dominant male. I have found that Kenyi are extremely aggressive and once they get bigger, I've never had long term success with them, always ending up with just a single large male or female of the species left alone by itself in the tank. It is really to bad they are so aggressive, as they are extremely pretty fish.

Just so you know, that male is sexually mature - which means you need to acquire more females ASAP.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #5

I have a 5 foot 100 gallon tank. My LFS is getting a new shipment tomorrow so I'll be back. My Acei is a little bigger than the male I just put in. I guess we will see who ends up the dominant. I know my tank can hold more fish I'm just trying to add in little groups so my levels don't spike to fast. I appreciate any and all advice! I'd rather be warned than oops I guess I just learned a hard lesson.

So far everyone is getting along and all eating.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettkei View Post
Attachment 227732

I'm pretty excited to find a new LFS that has 4"+ and lots of freshwater options.

I'm jealous all of my lfs only have juveniles/unsexed or really ugly larger cichlids (no good color) thinking I might have to start ordering online but it's not easy to get home from work to receive the package. Wish I could find a place local.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettkei View Post
I have a 5 foot 100 gallon tank. My LFS is getting a new shipment tomorrow so I'll be back. My Acei is a little bigger than the male I just put in. I guess we will see who ends up the dominant. I know my tank can hold more fish I'm just trying to add in little groups so my levels don't spike to fast. I appreciate any and all advice! I'd rather be warned than oops I guess I just learned a hard lesson.

So far everyone is getting along and all eating.
I've always been told with mbuna it's best to stock the entire tank in one go to reduce aggression. I know that can be hard on the wallet and you need to be sure to have a fully cycled filter but just thought I'd share that information.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
air, ick, pair, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com