New African Cichlid tank. Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this tank running for about a month and a half. There's 9 juvenile cichlids and one albino BNP. No two cichlids are the same. I've tried to go with the lesser aggressive species and tried to do all males. The guy at the LFS recommended I make one giant mountain of rocks in the middle going all the way to the top of the tank. Don't think I want to do that. It seems to me it's more about the hiding places than the amount of rock. Suggestions?

Attachments

• pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 84
In my experience its all about the hiding places not how high your rock stacks are... your tank looks good btw i personally would add more rocks but i really like a crowded tank with lots of rock

I kept adding rock to my 90 gal until i stopped observing aggression seemed to work for me

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hiding spots are always good, in my opinion it's more about moving things around to lessen aggression. As they get older they will claim a spot for themselves, by moving things around every week or 2 they don't get that chance. Mbunas need these hiding spots more than the peacocks and haps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm planning to add some more rock. Not sure how much. I also have an anubius nana and a couple of java fern starts from another tank attached to the driftwood. So far no one has messed with them. Hopefully they will provide some cover too.

Hiding spots but also break up line of sight. Mix it up, your tank looks good. If you see aggression redecorate.

Kind of off topic, but I was wondering about adding salt to the tank. I haven't done it yet, and I know the LFS doesn't do it. Is it necessary? I saw Malawa lake salt at the LFS, but I thought I would do some research before I change the tank parameters. Good or bad for the fish since they haven't had salt added before now?

Malawi is a completely freshwater lake. I see no point in adding salt of any kind

Malawi is a completely freshwater lake. I see no point in adding salt of any kind

Malawi cichlids need a higher pH than most other Freshwater fish. Salt can help buffer/raise the pH. I add a tablespoon of marine salt for every 5 gallons of water for my mbuna tank.

Malawi cichlids need a higher pH than most other Freshwater fish. Salt can help buffer/raise the pH. I add a tablespoon of marine salt for every 5 gallons of water for my mbuna tank.

So you get an actual buffer. Marine salt will typically reduce a full freshwater fishes lifespan. There is no true reason to add marine salt to a Malawi tank. Period. Not to mention most commonly kept Malawi fish are not wild caught and raised in neutral pH.

So you get an actual buffer. Marine salt will typically reduce a full freshwater fishes lifespan. There is no true reason to add marine salt to a Malawi tank. Period. Not to mention most commonly kept Malawi fish are not wild caught and raised in neutral pH.

I see a million different opinions about the use of salt with Malawi cichlids, but have not seen any solid evidence. My understanding is cichlids have marine ancestors, and that the Rift Lakes have some salt in them. And my LFS uses marine salt in their Malawi tanks, so they are not raised in a neutral pH.

However, if you can point me to strong evidence that it is better not to use salt, I will gladly stop. I want to do what is best for the fish!

Back
Top Bottom