New African Mbuna 55 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I was thinking. Scolofi wouldn't go at all with the first group you mentioned? I was hoping to keep four species with one male to 3 female ratios. Any suggestions?? Also which acei would go better, white or yellow tail??

Edited my previous comment Scolofi should be in the first group. Sorry about that. However, Pseudotropheus socolofi and Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" are of the same Genu. so be aware of the possibility of hybrids (Only if you don't want hybrids).

Yellow labs
Aceii Msuli
Rusty
Synodontis Peticola or Synodontis Multipunctatus (add some variety)

If you keep these 3 cichlids in this suggestion you may be able to get a rainbow shark in with them even a bristlenose pleco . I keep a male Ngara flametail and three females with the mix I listed above. Seeing as these are the gentler of the Mbuna it seems to work.

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you have any other ideas for another mbuna I could add to the three you mentioned to add a food variety of color? Ill look up info on the flametails, but besides that what others will offer different colors without the aggressive temperament?

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you have any other ideas for another mbuna I could add to the three you mentioned to add a food variety of color? Ill look up info on the flametails, but besides that what others will offer different colors without the aggressive temperament?

Food variety?

Sorry... this phone has a mind of its own! Ha i meant good color..

K.

I can't think of another Mbuna that will readily fit inot that group. The truth is that you could try to put several other fish into the mix. It may work it may not. If it does, GREAT. If it doesn't, be ready to rehome some fish o avoid losing your investment to bullies. The fish I listed should give you a pretty good variety, but, don't be afraid to try things. Do your homework and lay out your stock plan and exit route(waht to do if their is compatibility issues).

If I was to suggest something that may work I would probabaly go with (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos). Often confused for the Johanni and sold as electric blue johanni, but much less aggressive. Others have had this work for them.

The one thing to think about with so many species is that they all need territory. So getting to many species in a 4' tank may lead to more territory battles.

With that said, it's your aquarium, so try out combinations you like and see how it works out for you. In the worse case scenario you rehome some fish if they don't play nice.

Back
Top Bottom