New Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a new tank today. The guy that I purchased it from had an entire garage full of tanks/fish and supplies (just for him). I mentioned one day I wanted to start an african cichlids tank so he walks me over to a tank full of 4-5 inch africans cichlids and says, pick which ones you want. I said what!!!!! So I brought home 7 african cichlids and 2 jack dempseys (I actually picked out 11 total but two didn't make the long trip home). They are now all in my small QT.

Does anyone know if any of my current stock will survive (in a 340 gallon) with africans: If not I'll have to rehome them all.

2 Red Hook Silver Dollars
2 Blood Pariots
1 large (10") Placo
4 clown loaches

Please help me identify these fish as I'm new to african cichlids ( forgive me for the bad pics and video)

Video:
new africans - YouTube

Pics:

Attachments

• IMG-20120805-00449.jpg
    IMG-20120805-00449.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20120805-00451.jpg
    IMG-20120805-00451.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-20120805-00452.jpg
    IMG-20120805-00452.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-20120805-00468.jpg
    IMG-20120805-00468.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 117
You just opened up a "can of worms".

You want to house all of them together? You mentioned getting a new tank, so you have a choice on how you house them, correct?

Oh my goodness lol. My advice is rehome the Dempsey or rehome the Africans. Theres going to be one heck of a show in that tank if you don't!

You just opened up a "can of worms".

Oh my goodness lol. My advice is rehome the Dempsey or rehome the Africans. Theres going to be one heck of a show in that tank if you don't!

If they are going into a 8ft 340g(most common dimensions) tank then theoretically the stock list while not ideal will have much greater chance of success, you'd be amazed on what you can get away with in a large footprint.

Last edited:
Definitely qt them and check for health. I'd be concerned that 2 died on your drive home. How far of a drive was it and how we're they packaged? I've driven 3 hours with new dis as no issues. Fish are also routinely shipped overnight so should survive a long ride. Keep a close eye before adding to your main tank.

As far as your stock, I'm not familiar with most of yours but I know the common pleco would work. +1 though on choosing the Africans or the dempseys but not both.

What at the dimensions of the tank?

HUKIT said:
If they are going into a 8ft 340g(most common dimensions) tank then theoretically the stock list while not ideal will have much greater chance of success, you'd be amazed on what you can get away with in a large footprint.

That's a good point, that is a massive tank so you are right. Got my fingers crossed for you OP!

All thanks for your replies:

First off. I really need your help in identifing the african cichlids. When I add more (alot more) Africans I need to know what I have. I know the pics and video are bad but if possible can someone please help me with that. Thanks:).

Paxlerod:
I'm going to rehome my existing stock (not the afrians). Also going to rehome the dempseys (maybe). I only took them because they were free:).

christine2012:
Rehoming the dempseys. Do you know if any of my existing stock would work before I rehome them also?

HUKIT:
It's a 6ft 340. Still quite long though. Any additionl thoughts on existing stock working. I feel 'll have to rehome them all although I've seen blood parrots and placos as well as clown loaches with africans with no issues.

CraigMac:
Yes they're in QT now. I agree on the concern of the two fish not serviving the trip. Maybe just over stressed. The tank measurements are 78L x 36H x 28W.

coalcut said:
christine2012:
Rehoming the dempseys. Do you know if any of my existing stock would work before I rehome them also?
I think you can certainly keep the loaches and pleco in that size tank with them. I can't say for sure about the others though. In the video I saw an acei- blue body with yellow tail. And I do see a peacock (blue and black speckles) I think. It is hard to tell though.

Honestly i think the only problem with your stock+new stock is the silver dollars. Many fish dont even notice bottom feeders and i know i have seen clowns with africans before and there is almost always a pleco in an african tank. If you rehome the silver dollars i think you will be fine. Good luck those are some really nice looking fish!!!

I hope you never need to reach the substrate along the back wall in that tank. Or I hope you have extremely long arms.

Do you mind me asking how much you got the tank for. I've been gettin the itch or a bigger tank recently.

Malawi Freak said:
I hope you never need to reach the substrate along the back wall in that tank. Or I hope you have extremely long arms.

Do you mind me asking how much you got the tank for. I've been gettin the itch or a bigger tank recently.

+1 my tank is 60 x 24 x 23 and I'm 6 foot 3.The tank is on a 24" high stand and reaching the back of the tank is a stretch so good luck with that :)

Fishy?
DJ, the angels in the other show tank look nice, are they still around? Did the tiger barbs leave the angels fins alone?

Thanks for helping with identifing the fish. Yeah, it's going to be difficult getting to the bottom of the tank to aquascape, clean etc. Maybe I'll just put my 4yr old in there with a scuba mask (just joking:lol:)

coalcut said:
Thanks for helping with identifing the fish. Yeah, it's going to be difficult getting to the bottom of the tank to aquascape, clean etc. Maybe I'll just put my 4yr old in there with a scuba mask (just joking:lol:)

After the last weekend I went through the same thought went through my head but minus the scuba mask.

Malawi Freak said:
After the last weekend I went through the same thought went through my head but minus the scuba mask.

This made me laugh lol. I know it's no laughing matter but you know what I mean.

coalcut said:

My stand is 44" so my tank stands 69" tall. I had to buy a 3 step ladder and then make stuff to help me clean it, see pictures below. I use it all the time and it works great. I don't even have to get my hands wet not that I care if I do but I don't. :) As for the fish it looks like the above posters already got two of the ones I know not sure about the rest. Good luck with all

ForumRunner_20120807_093148.jpg

ForumRunner_20120807_093204.jpg

Got the tank for $700

Back
Top Bottom