new Bolivian Ram hiding & refusing to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I apologize for this being a cross-post from the "Unhealthy Fish" forum but I was hoping that I might get more information from a cichlid-specific group.

I bought 2 bolivian rams about 10 days ago for my 55gal tank, in which I currently have 3 other rams. Since I brought him home, one of the new rams (male) has shown no interest in eating and spends most of his time hiding underneath driftwood or leaves. I've offered Tetra floating crisps, Omega sinking pellets, Hikari carnivore pellets, and frozen brine shrimp, but he's not gone after any of it. I watched him for at least 20min last night after feeding everybody to see if he might go through the gravel to dig up some of the pellets but he just stayed in his little spot.

I've had problems in the past with one of my males exhibiting similar behavior and have found that going through a few treatments with Tetra Parasite Guard seems to get him back to normal, but so far 3 treatments haven't worked with my new little guy. When I bought my first group of rams several years ago (including the 3 I had already) I had similar problems with one of them and he did die within a month of bringing him home, and never did figure out what was wrong. I'm fasting everybody today (Saturday) and will try offering frozen blood worms tomorrow.

Water parameters:
Temp ~ 79
Nitrate ~ 10ppm
Ammonia & Nitrite = 0
pH ~ 7.2

The store has a 14 day return policy on FW fish and I know I could take him back, but I don't think they'd take the time to treat him, though if there's nothing I can do I'd prefer to exchange or return him rather than have him die on day #16. Should I return him or try to treat him and hope for the best? Can anyone recommend other treatments? I'm currently thinking about trying either Metronidazole (SeaChem's Zole) or Flubendazole but open to other suggestions.

Thanks

I heard it isn't recommended to get that much because of conflicts. I also heard that they do best in pairs or threesome's as 1 male-1 female or 1 male-2 females.
Also, it seems you are under stocked to my point of view. Maybe try to add more compatible fish?

I purchased 6 originally several years ago, after the 1 died that I mentioned previously, the remaining 5 seemed to do fine, even though it was 1 female and 4 males.

They're not alone in the tank, I also have 7 tiger barbs, 5 black skirt tetras, 7 cory cats, a convict, and a bristlenose pleco. I have seen the convict occasionally chase the new guy that I'm worried about but she mainly focuses on herding the barbs.

I purchased 6 originally several years ago, after the 1 died that I mentioned previously, the remaining 5 seemed to do fine, even though it was 1 female and 4 males.

They're not alone in the tank, I also have 7 tiger barbs, 5 black skirt tetras, 7 cory cats, a convict, and a bristlenose pleco. I have seen the convict occasionally chase the new guy that I'm worried about but she mainly focuses on herding the barbs.
Do you have sufficient hiding places?

As best I can tell, yes. I have several large pieces of drift wood, 3 clay pots, and 5 over-grown anubias nana plants. He usually seems to prefer hiding under the leaves of the plants though he'll occasionally wander into the large pot that the convict has claimed.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference but because of extremely hard water here, I use RO DI water rather than tap.

He's spending a bit more time out of hiding today, even saw him hold his ground against one of the other rams I've had for a while. I'm hopeful that this fast does the trick and that he'll go after the blood worms tomorrow but appreciate any suggestions.

He's spending a bit more time out of hiding today, even saw him hold his ground against one of the other rams I've had for a while. I'm hopeful that this fast does the trick and that he'll go after the blood worms tomorrow but appreciate any suggestions.
Yes, i'm sure that it will work. They have instinct, so they will go after food if they are hungry.

I'm currently thinking about trying either Metronidazole (SeaChem's Zole) or Flubendazole but open to other suggestions

I'd suggest a couple of rounds of Clout by Mardel, I'd treat everyone then look at why your continuing to have digestive problems. Are there other signs of issues such as stringy white poop or white discharge from the vent?

Yes, i'm sure that it will work. They have instinct, so they will go after food if they are hungry.

That's not true, fish with Hexamita spp.or Sprionucleus vortens will literally waste away then die from internal parasites after refusing to eat for weeks.

That's not true, fish with Hexamita spp.or Sprionucleus vortens will literally waste away then die from internal parasites after refusing to eat for weeks.
True, but from my belief, i would think he was healthy. Though those cases might be also that:)

True, but from my belief, i would think he was healthy. Though those cases might be also that:)

Heathy fish generally don't hide and refuse to eat for 10 days, plus the OP stated the other fish improved when treating for internal parasites which is another indication the fish are not healthy. So I'm not sure how you arrived at the thought these are healthy fish.

Heathy fish generally don't hide and refuse to eat for 10 days, plus the OP stated the other fish improved when treating for internal parasites which is another indication the fish are not healthy. So I'm not sure how you arrived at the thought these are healthy fish.
Indeed indeed.:)

I'd suggest a couple of rounds of Clout by Mardel, I'd treat everyone then look at why your continuing to have digestive problems. Are there other signs of issues such as stringy white poop or white discharge from the vent?

No, outwardly he appears fine, no stringy white feces or anything of the other usual signs of disease. Same with the other ram with whom I'd had similar problems. I did have an angelfish die last week with the signs your describing - she stopped eating, became quite lethargic, and white feces, same symptoms of the 2 other angels I've had die.

I can't find Clout in any of the fish/pet stores nearby but I've ordered it and it should be here Tues-Wed. I'll still give the blood worms a shot tomorrow and let you all know what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

If your having digestive troubles I'd recommend skipping blood worms and using something that is easily digestable, such as a quality pellet soaked in Epsom salt solution.

Bloodworms: they have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process and could potenitally get stuck in the intestinal tracks of irritating the walls allowing flagellated protazoas to take hold causing digestive problems.

Word of warning with Clout, it works very well but will stain silicone blue for awhile.

Offered the bloodworms this afternoon (just now saw the recommendation from HUKIT) and thankfully he went for them, more or less gorged himself. He picked up and immediately spit out quite a few which was worrisome, but eventually got most of those down.

I'll keep an eye out for unhealthy BMs and keep the Clout on hand in case he starts looking sickly or the hiding and not-eating behavior continues.

Back
Top Bottom