new cichlid keeper.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might help if you can tell us more about your set up. What size tank, and what type of filtration.

Welcome to AA,

Here is a good link to get a idea on different cichlids from each side of the pond, this will get you started then ask us some specific questions when they pop up. There are no better family of fish in my opinion for their unique shapes, color, and behavior.

Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons

Last edited:
I prefer central and South Americans. 45g is not a ton of room. Maybe a community tank with a few cichlids as centerpeices. 8 penguin tetras, 1 festivum, 2 blue rams, 6 cory cats. Or you could do a keyhole tank. 4-6 keyholes and 6 stratia botia.

If you keep new world cichlids I like convict cichlids. You could keep african dwarf cichlids like lamprologus ocellatus and pelvicachromis pulcher.

If you keep new world cichlids I like convict cichlids. You could keep african dwarf cichlids like lamprologus ocellatus and pelvicachromis pulcher.

I'd like to point out that Pelvicachromis is a west African river fish and 'lamprologus is a rift lake fish incase the OP is not aware. It is not wise to mix river and rift lake fish.

I am aware of that I was trying to say those fish could be options for the tank.

Welcome to AA,

Here is a good link to get a idea on different cichlids from each side of the pond, this will get you started then ask us some specific questions when they pop up. There are no better family of fish in my opinion for their unique shapes, color, and behavior.

Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons

thanks, i got bored of my community fish pretty quickly and want some diversity in my tank. they are stunning fish

I prefer central and South Americans. 45g is not a ton of room. Maybe a community tank with a few cichlids as centerpeices. 8 penguin tetras, 1 festivum, 2 blue rams, 6 cory cats. Or you could do a keyhole tank. 4-6 keyholes and 6 stratia botia.

so is it not right that you have to cram cichlids in so to speak to avoid aggression? keyhole tank? please explain

Back
Top Bottom