New cichlid set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid 28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i have a new 7ft4inchx2ftx2ft tank, which will be filtered via overflow to sumps underneath. I was hoping to have a few pairs of central American cichlids and a few dithers along with maybe a catfish and possibly an eel of some sort! At the moment the only fish that needs to go in is a 6 inch texas (carpinte). Just looking for some ideas for potential stock!?
Cheers!

With a tank like that you have so many options! Welcome to AA btw!
As for central american cichlids there are several very gorgeous kinds. How many different species are you looking at.

That would make a gorgeous discus tank. Of course that depends if you like discus or not.

I want central americans, pairs really, not really sure how many i could have in there though?

Congrats on a great tank.. those are close to the dimensions that I'm looking for. :D

Look into Festae and Jags.. Or GT and JD pairs. You really do have a lot of choices.

10gal also-55 wip

:pi just put a 55 together, i have 2 angelfish 1 oscar and 2 gourammi. i am about to get 2 discus do you think i could put them in this tank? also i keep the temp at 78 is it true discus need 83 or so? 2 pet store people told me the oscar will out grow and eat the angels what think about that?

Get rid of the Oscar.. they get way to big for a 55 gallon and will need a minimum of 75g (this is bare minimum).

The amount of pairs you can have will depend on which pairs you end up choosing. Do you have any that you are leaning toward?

Well i want to stick the texas in so he'll need a mate, other than that not really sure. Was also thinking of a pair of Herichthys labridens yellow and maybe Herichthys bartoni. Still thinking though!?

All three are highly aggressive as I am sure you are aware. If you set it up properly you should be able three pairs in the tank. The herichthys labridens yellow may be hard to find, unless you have a source already. I also thought I had seen them on the endangered species list but am not totally positive on that.

Back
Top Bottom