New Cichlid set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbysue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I found the following list on another web page, and I'd like some imput if it would make a good mix for a beginner cichlid tank.

1 pair of kribs (P. pulcher)
1 pair of African butterflycichlid (A. Thomasi)
1 pair of Egyptian mouth-brooder (P. miúlticolor)
4 ancistrus (plecos)

The tank is approx 45gallons.

My goals are: relative ease of care (I don't want to mess with water hardness too much), pretty fish, not too aggressive, maybe some breeding behaviours.

What do you all think?
TIA,
Susan

Not to sure on how the two Cichlids would get along but as long as they leave eachother alone durring breeding it will more than likely be fine. That's kinda a lot of pleco for a 40 imo if it wad me is cut them back to 2 maybe 3. Good luck with your tank I see itss kinda a old thread but found it looking threw the unanswered

I've never kept the Egyptian mouth brooders, but the kribs and butterfly cichlids will get along. Neither is overly aggressive.

What are the dimensions of the tank, mainly the length times width (a.k.a. "footprint")? My main concern would be that once one pair starts breedin' there would be trouble. Ya may consider two pairs of cichlids and a small group of medium-sized tetras or barbs rather than three pairs of cichlids.

WYite

Not to sure on how the two Cichlids would get along but as long as they leave eachother alone durring breeding it will more than likely be fine. That's kinda a lot of pleco for a 40 imo if it wad me is cut them back to 2 maybe 3. Good luck with your tank I see itss kinda a old thread but found it looking threw the unanswered

Now that I've done more reading, I think that it would be a LOT of plecos!

What about some sort of catfish instead or ?

Susan

I've never kept the Egyptian mouth brooders, but the kribs and butterfly cichlids will get along. Neither is overly aggressive.

What are the dimensions of the tank, mainly the length times width (a.k.a. "footprint")? My main concern would be that once one pair starts breedin' there would be trouble. Ya may consider two pairs of cichlids and a small group of medium-sized tetras or barbs rather than three pairs of cichlids.

WYite

The footprint is 36"x18" - do you think 2 pairs of the same kind of cichlids, or different kinds with similar temperaments?

:thanks:

Susan

Most times with cichlids (can't say with the ones you chose as I have no experience with them) once they pair off they will show a lot of aggression towards similiar bodied/colored fish (especially their own kind) so when keeping multiple breeding pairs try and stick with different genus for the pairs.

Back
Top Bottom