New Cichlid Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baqarnaqvi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone.
I have bought a pair of auratus. and i dunno a pair of light pink cichlids with red head.
After two days one of the auratus killed my one pink cihclids. And eat his eyes. Now Only the tank mates left in the aquarium is 2 auratus, 1 pink cichlids, 1 tinfoil barb, and a pleco.
Now what shall i do. Should i return the auratus. Or shall i bye some babies of zebra cichlids. Will Auratus kill the babies too ???
Help
I am in great confusion.

Auratus are a very aggresive cichlid. But, alot of the problems come from difference in size....etc. If you mix them all from the time they are babies I think they will grow up together and be fine in most cases. The problem comes when they are introduced to the tank at different times or one is much larger than the other. One has already established dominancy in the tank and the other is often times looked at as an intruder and will be harrassed to death. I have introduced several types of cichlids that are not supposed to get along as babies and they have grown up fine together. It is also important to have alot of rock and hiding places in your tank if you want to keep cichlids. That way if a fish is being harrassed, they have a place to hide.

What size tank are they in? These fish require a minimum of 4ft tank to establish territories with plenty of hiding spots. Also most people with african tanks tend to overstock to help reduce aggression but that can be another challenge in itself based on stocking list.

Today i returned my auratus!!!
Now i have
2x Jewel Cichlids
1x Albino Rainbow Shark
1x Rainbow Shark
1x Tinfoil Barb
2x Tiger Barb
2x Snow white Cichlid
2x Blue Zebra Cichlid
1x Pink cichlid (idunno the name)
1x Vetro Pleco

And i have 30 gallon tank....

Today i returned my auratus!!!
Now i have
2x Jewel Cichlids
1x Albino Rainbow Shark
1x Rainbow Shark
1x Tinfoil Barb
2x Tiger Barb
2x Snow white Cichlid
2x Blue Zebra Cichlid
1x Pink cichlid (idunno the name)
1x Vetro Pleco

And i have 30 gallon tank....

2x Cobalt Zebra Cichlid - sorry this is the right name !!! :grin: instead

All those fish in a 30g? You're going to have tons of problems if you keep them all in that tank. The tinfoil barb will grow huge, entirely too big for a 30g... Those 'snow white' cichlids, along with the cobalt blues will need a minimum of 4' tank, and will quite possibly kill every other fish in there. the pink cichlid, well, you're going to have to figure out what it is... The only true pink colored cichlid I can think of is a pink convict or some cross between a convict and a blood parrot (bubble gum maybe?).

The tank size was what I was worried about. I would take them all back, or just keep the jewels and the plec or get some dwarf cichlids or some shellies.

The tank size was what I was worried about. I would take them all back, or just keep the jewels and the plec or get some dwarf cichlids or some shellies.

So what shall i do...
All of them are too small
about 1 - 1.5 inch

All those fish in a 30g? You're going to have tons of problems if you keep them all in that tank. The tinfoil barb will grow huge, entirely too big for a 30g... Those 'snow white' cichlids, along with the cobalt blues will need a minimum of 4' tank, and will quite possibly kill every other fish in there. the pink cichlid, well, you're going to have to figure out what it is... The only true pink colored cichlid I can think of is a pink convict or some cross between a convict and a blood parrot (bubble gum maybe?).

They are about 1 inch, they are all babies... only pleco is 4inch long.
I taught that snow white and cobalt zebra cichlid is calm. And still they are living peacefully...

No she is not rose queen :(
She is lighter pink then the rose queen and have red marks at the cheeks and she is African cichlid not American.

Back
Top Bottom