New cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portstyx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got this 56 gallon column tank for $175 off on black friday!! Thinking about setting it up as a cichlid tank, not sure what kind yet though. Ph and temp are good, just waiting to get a large peice of driftwood or rock setup for the right side for some more hiding spots.

Attachments

• 1417487348613.jpg
    1417487348613.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 92
Sorry for the link, here's the picture.1417491312446.jpg

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are looking for suggestions my suggestion is smaller Central American Cichlids. IMO they have just the right amount of color, personality with out too much aggression. My favorites are Thoricthys Meeki (Firemouths) or anything in the Thoricthys family passionis, helleri, elliot. but meeki are the most common they dont look like much in the store but once you get them home they color up nicely. You could also do Honduran red points or rainbow cichlids.

Since it is tall and not long you are limited on amount you could keep. I would do one of the following

3 rainbow cichlids and 1 firemouth or
pair of firemouths with a school of larger tetras or
2 rainbows and 2 honduran red points or
2 honduran red points and 1 firemouth
2 pairs of Honduran red points. I have both blue and platinum and they look good together.

Just got this 56 gallon column tank for $175 off on black friday!! Thinking about setting it up as a cichlid tank, not sure what kind yet though. Ph and temp are good, just waiting to get a large peice of driftwood or rock setup for the right side for some more hiding spots.

What are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a stocking nightmare, the only thing that might work is some smaller South American dwarf species.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nah there a loads of centrals in Cryptoheros and Thoricthys that will work, or the more common Pterophyllum scalare along with a large school of Hemigrammus rhodostomus would work well too.

I'm always more concerned about the upper regions in a tall tank rather than the lower, that's where a large school of dithers would work well.

It's 30"L 18"W.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom