New Cichlid Start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deez Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Cichlid guru's :)

I'm new at the Cichlid game and Ive just set up 2 new tanks for cichlids. Have lots of hiding places with hollow rocks and a thick layer of sand substrate lining the bottom. I have added 7 juvenile Africans from Big ALS into each tank. They've been in there for 6 days and very happy. I'm looking for ideas as to what to get next? How do I get the brightest colors? What goes with what? What questions should I be asking? Ect..... Any advice or ideas would be great!

Thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395445660.365651.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395445720.490099.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395445750.323706.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395445782.555915.jpg

Not connected. That's the look I was looking for though :)

For brightest colors you should go with breeders instead of lfs

Awesome set up :). What type of Africans did you get, it's better to know what you have beforehand to make sure that they're compatible tank mates. As for the brightest color, just keep the tank water parameters perfect and weekly water changes to keep the nitrates down, a happy and healthy fish will always display their colors better.

And just my opinion, but I'd scrap the plastic plants since they somewhat would draw eyes off the fish and also the fish's color would stand out more. Maybe an all male peacock tank one side and mbuna on the other? Your decision, should be fun getting your tank stocked ^_^

Most breeders only select the best fish, as not always with lfs. Breeders generally have more time to make sure that the fish are in proper conditions and everything is square. Therefore most of the times the have the brightest colors.

You're better off buying from reputable online sites than breeders IMO, unless those people actually has been known to have a good stock with no hybrids (try looking in your area's aquarium clubs).

I agree, unless it's a recommended breeder don't use it. Lfs are still great, and have amazing fish. Aqauarium clubs are useful.

That's sweet. I agree with sonic, dump the fake plants. Find out what you got in there and then work out what'll work. Very nice setup. (Is that a stripper pole in the room, just curious?)

Yes, sadass, it's a stripper pole :) It's great for exercise and even better for getting parties started!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom