New Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lengelund

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!
I am new to the site but not to the hobby. I have kept a 46 G bowfront for about 10 years. Mostly fresh tropical, but at one time I had a mix of cichlids and tropicals: 2 severums, a Firemouth, 2 gouramies, several platies, and maybe a couple of tetras. Only aggression was the two gouramies, although the firemouth always ate the platy babies.
Now I'm back into the cichlids, and once again not following all the rules about the mix. But it's been 7 weeks and everyone is getting along. I have a firemouth, a red jewel, a red zebra, a yellow tail acei, an auratus, a peacock, and an interesting fish from the "assorted cichlid" tank. Best I can find is maybe it is a calico peacock. Also a yellow lab. Can you guess I was going for the diversity here? Almost all of these came out of the "assorted" tank and were bought at one time. Feeding NLS and Omega One Veggie flake. I have rock and cave works, but maybe will add more.
Currently running a Marineland 280 with Biowheel- I have used this for the 10 years I've had the tank. Fish are now 2 or 2 1/2 inches each.
A new filter is on the way- Marineland 400, with 2 larger biowheels, so I can't use the old biowheel on the new filter. My plan is to sink the 2 new biowheels in the tank for 2 weeks, while still running the old filter. Then I will switch to the new filter and sink the old biowheel. I'm looking to avoid a mini cycle while increasing the biological filtration before these fish get too much bigger.
Also: Overstocking to avoid aggression. I'm pretty happy with what is in there right now. Should I add any more to this mix? I'd rather add now, while the fish are still kind of small.
Thanks!

You have quite a diverse group of fish with different aggression levels. I would not have gone with those choices but I my only advice would be to have a back up plan in case it goes south(like a qt tank or rehome option). Auratus can be very aggressive, while peacocks could be very timid, the acei grow to large for a 3ft tank...there's my two cents.

The filtration should be fine since the 280 and 400 share the same cartridge( thought the same biowheel as well) just use the 280 inserts in the 400 for a couple of weeks or run them both for a while.

Food selection is good. I feed exclusively New Life Spectrum.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Fed Ex just delivered the filter and the biowheel is the same. Thought I saw somewhere "Now Larger Biowheel". So in it goes. The fish love the extra water flow! It is louder than the old filter, unfortunately.
Red zebra is the tank boss. Chases everyone, but no biting or lip locking. And it's not constant- the RZ also likes to move around the gravel and keeps busy that way.
Auratus is pretty tame, as is the jewel. I've heard both can be pretty aggressive, but I'm just not seeing it.
Peacock is not shy at all and it was the last one to join this eclectic little group.
My back up if it all goes sour would be to give away or return to the store. But I hope that doesn't happen. These are really cool little fish.
Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom