New Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of setting up a large tank (75-90 gallons) for cichlids. My problem is that I can't pick which type!

I like:
- Angelfish
- Yellow labs
- Rams

Is there any chance that even two of those three could work together?

All (constructive) thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

No the labs would bully and maybe kill the rams and the angels.The poor angels with such long fins would be tattered pretty soon.I think angels and rams would be ok in a good sized tank.

the Labs would definitely not work with these other 2. both my male labs are the 2 bosses of my tank & i've got a set of 2 Kenyi males which are supposed to be even more aggressive and they bow down to my Lab lol. have you looked into other Mbuna like the Labs? there are some goargeous fish in that lake. and the personalities are hilarious!

I'm not sure but I think the Yellow Labs would harass the Angels and Rams too much. Not sure how good of an idea that would be? :/

No on the Labs, yes on the angels/rams.

Lab's are a more mild mbuna cichlid, but still a mbuna. They will harass the heck out of the other two cichlid species.

Angles and rams would get along but rams actually live in lower ph conditions and angles would not fair well.

Not a good combo, labs are too aggressive, angels and rams may get along but live in much different ph conditions. African cichlids and, south American cichlids usually do not mix well.

Honestly the ph differences really apply to gen 3 and back... anything tank raised that far in isn't going to be THAT effected. Its more important to have a stable ph than a high one for Africans. But the aggression would definitely be an issue. Most Africans you buy from your lfs is kept in a multi tank system that's probably not catered to the high ph they "require". If you get from a local breeder sure those are probably used to higher levels but they adjust pretty quickly. Just keep it stable.

Honestly the ph differences really apply to gen 3 and back... anything tank raised that far in isn't going to be THAT effected. Its more important to have a stable ph than a high one for Africans. But the aggression would definitely be an issue. Most Africans you buy from your lfs is kept in a multi tank system that's probably not catered to the high ph they "require". If you get from a local breeder sure those are probably used to higher levels but they adjust pretty quickly. Just keep it stable.

Agree with this.

Most fish adapt to pH as long as it's not at an extreme.

Back
Top Bottom