New Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandafxox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 30 gallon cichlid tank with 5 cichlids, a catfish and a tiger Oscar.

They all have plenty of swimming room with gravel, a cave, a rock structure to swim through, and a log with fake plants.

The water is kept at 78 degrees.

I recently discovered that one of my cichlids and the Oscar fish are both South American cichlids while other 4 are African cichlids.

Cichlids types we have are:
African:
Bubble bee
Demasoni
Maingano
Orange Johanni

South American:
Tiger Oscar
Jack Dempsey

I've had the 4 African Cichlids for a couple weeks and they have been doing great.. The Oscar and Jack Dempsey are fairly new.

Any suggestions on what to do with them?
If I should take any out...
How to care for their water...
What to feed them...

I plan on upgrading to a bigger tank sometime soon. The 30 gallon tank was big enough until I converted to a Cichlid tank..

Also this is a picture of the catfish I have, if anyone can tell me what type he is..

image-3228081553.jpg

And my cichlids aren't very big at all, maybe 1.5 inches-2.5 inches. And the Oscar is about 4.5 inches.

Thanks for the catfish link! I read that it's a South American catfish...

Should the Oscar, Jack Dempsey, & catfish go in another tank since they are all South American?

Pretty much but.remember the Oscar will get big so a 75 gallon would be better than a 55. The pictus cat will be fine with the Africans as well. I keep them together with no problems

So a 75gl tank for the Oscar and Jack Dempsey? What other fish would be compatible in that tank?

No you will need a 90 gallon bare minimum for the Oscar jack And catfish. Preferably a 125. The Oscar Alones gonna need 55 gallons minimum.

You dont need a 90 bare minimum for a jack and oscar. Ya sure it would be better but a 75 would be fine depending on how they act together and aggression levels. I have a red oscar 7inches and a jack Dempsey 5.5inches in a 55 gallon right now and they will be moved to a 75 within the year.

Back
Top Bottom