New cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish99

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have been keeping fish for awhile now, but mostly community fish. Have a community tank upstairs and 5 various tanks in the basement for breeding (bristlenose plecos, snails, endler's livebearers, black Moscow guppies, red cherry shrimp). I have decided to convert my largest tank from the basement into my first cichlid tank. It is a 45 gallon (high?). I want it to be somewhat of a community, but also for breeding. What do i need to know? What are some easy starting fish that are somewhat easy to breed yet still very sellable? I was thinking to start with some yellow labs. What else should i add? How many fish? Would rather have more 3-4 inch fish than a few large cichlids. Has a sand substrate, is that ok? Do i add heaps of rocks for hiding places? Any help is appreciated!

The type of cichlids you are looking for do like a lot of rock work for hiding spaces, you can look at different cichlid set ups on here and youll be able to get an idea. You can use cichlid stones, slate, and other rocks that are suitable for your tank.

Here's a link that'll show you how to prepare stones/rocks for your tank and what ones work and what ones don't: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-adding-decor-aquarium/

Cichlids natural environment also has sand, so that's good that you already have it. The website above also shows you how to clean sand, which you may have already done that but just in case.

Back
Top Bottom