New cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
His is my new cichlid tank. I'm hoping to get a larger one soon, but this one was cheap and will surely suffice. It's still in the cycling stages. I can't wait to add cichlids. It's a 29 gallon. I read that cichlids are best kept when there are quite a few of them as they can't establish territories and won't fight as much. I want as many as I can but I don't want to have too many. I prefer afrikan over South American at the moment. Any suggestions on the what kind and how many I should get? Thank you.

image-2369140753.jpg

With a 29g, i would say 2 at the most, they get big, and need plenty of room, The reason i know this is because i not only have a few friends that have them, but 1 in particular with 150g, they have 20, two blue jack dempsys, 2 i think oscars, and various others etc...and they look so stressed and unhappy, i have a 30g 24inch deep with comunity fish, platys, mollies, FRY, I did plenty research on them because because i do want some blue jack dempsys, after all my research, you need atleast a 55g for just 2, The longer the better..

It's best to not get anything that can't stay in there for life. Which leaves IMO mostly dwarfs. Tank looks amazing and I think some color fish would look great. If you like African I'd suggest pelvicachromis. What's your tap water like?

Back
Top Bottom